Rear brake caliper problems

Matt197

South West Rep
I have been changing all of the brake discs and pads on my car and everything was going smoothly, fronts were no problem and everything came out with little effort.

Rears were a different matter, the bolts holding the calliper carrier were a nightmare to remove but got them off in the end.

Problem came when I was winding the last piston back (knew things were going to smoothly), the rubber seal somehow got stuck to the piston and when I was winding it back the seal was deforming with brake fluid coming out.

I removed the caliper from the car in the end and removed the piston, from looking at it I think the piston is goosed. Where the seal sits its all corroded and the piston bore looks to be slightly pitted.

Not sure if its worth buying a new piston and seal kit or just buy a new caliper, any suggestions?

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1020331.jpg
    P1020331.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 105
if the wall of the piston is undamaged then it will be fine to re-use, you can clean up the face of the piston with a wire brush and replace the seals and replace the rubber seal.

If you want to replace the piston i will pass you details of a company who can source them if it helps (mine was for fronts but still should be able to help).

as above..i would(for peace of my mind) got a new piston and a seal kit but can be re used...

Thanks for the help, I decided to just buy a new caliper. Got brand new one for £75 so don't think its to bad, can always refurb the old one and sell it on later as there was no surcharge.

Next question, would I be able to get away with just bleeding the new caliper or should the whole system be done ?

good job..thats probably the best option to go for a new one...
i would bleed all 4 of them..

Thanks for the help, I decided to just buy a new caliper. Got brand new one for £75 so don't think its to bad, can always refurb the old one and sell it on later as there was no surcharge.

Next question, would I be able to get away with just bleeding the new caliper or should the whole system be done ?
Bleed all 4 as pav said.