quite surprised.

was just looking at bhp/ton on the Clio and thought I'd have a bash at working out my fiesta (mk3 with engine conversion)

Clio 197 (stats off of 3 sites to ensure similarity)
161.4bhp/tonne
0-60: 6.9 seconds

fiesta 2.0 mk3
147.6bhp/tonne
0-60: 7.2 seconds

and the handling in the fiesta is not far off the Clio due to it having a better chassis as standard :0
quite surprising a 16 year old car with a different engine in it would give it a run for it's money (a bit like the Clio 200 chasing the focus RS on the clip on YouTube Clio 197 = FRS and the fiesta would be the Clio :tongue_smilie: )

what about torque/tonne ?

the clio3 is a bit bigger and heavier than the fiesta and to be honest you are far better off having a crash in the clio given its ncap rating

think the new clio will be a bit lighter this time around :clap:

for a 95 it was a good spec. front fogs, demister front and rear (mine has no front anymore) electric windows and electric boot popper. the fiesta is under a tonne total so a big difference in weight. I was just really surprised that a car thats set me back 1.3k (2.0 silvertop engine from mondeo running gear is mostly fiesta Si) total isn't far off one that has set me back a fair whack more :smile:

I have crashed 3 times in a fiesta mk3. 1 a peugot drove into the side of me and the airbag didn't even go off (all one of them) partner was concussed as the seatbelt allowed him to whip forward and hit his head against the dash/window.

other 2 times 1 was in diesal (police explained an hour before a car had done an identical thing. same spot, don't get why there where no signs...) and the other in the snow.
the diesal was a full 360 spinner clipped the curb, thus up on 2 wheels. had 4 new alloys in the back 2 so they all got reorganised.
new rear axle, rear ARB, already had the new wheels and tracking. suspension was ok but I had another set to go on the car anyway.

snow just knocked the tracking out.

I wouldn't like to be in an accident with a mk3 fiesta at anything over 30mph believe me.
that's what strut braces and rollcages are there for trackwise but as standard hell no :lol:

torque/tonne bit more difficult to work out. problem is it's running the gearbox from the 1.6si so it's gearchanges are very short. but it has a fair bit of low down grunt. it will pull off faster then the Clio no doubt but it wouldn't be long before it was stuck behind it.
I've actually physically timed my 0-60 really going some in the fiesta and it's 6.5 (passenger timed) and it pulls as well till 110 where it begins to struggle (gearbox very very high rpm)

I wouldn't corner like I do in the Clio though. I'd say 5-10 mph slower in the corners then the Clio.

as a track car I'd use the fiesta (which was my original intention) for everyday hands down the clio. only reason I wouldn't track the Clio is because I would worry about damaging it in sone way.
fiesta is like 50p to fix :lol:

overall I'd still choose the Clio though. it's fast pushed the fiesta out of the number 1 spot in my heart.

Last edited: