Puncture!

Well what a palava yesterday was!

Got back to my car from work in the pissing rain. Jumped in and instantly noticed something felt wrong....tyre completely flat, running on the rim...Crap!

Ive never thought about this before but how much hassle is it not having a spare! Sure a tin of tyre weld does what it should...but what if the puncture is repairable? These tyres arent cheap and youve just wasted £140 by filling a repairable tyre with foam!

Needless to say i used the tyre foam and headed to my local garage where they took a look. Fortunately/unfortunately the tyre had a big slice in it so was beyond repair so i hadnt written a tyre off unecessarily.

Here's my dilema...do i....

replace the damaged one with a matching tyre and have it with an 18month old one so worn differently....

OR

take the plunge...buy two tyres so i have a matching set, keep the 18month old good one and source a full size spare and jack to keep me out of the **** again?

Opinions?

Prices of a single speedline and jack?

Buy two new ones and get a spare off of here or eBay and get a jack off of a breaker like renparts! I got a spare now with one tyre that's just on legal limit, just in case!

I got a puncture the first week I had my car :worried:

I'd change both and keep the other tyre as spare. Wouldn't bother with another rim to put it on, just get another can of tyre foam and should the worse happen at least you don't have to shell out for another tyre. See if you can get Tyre Insurance, I have it and they pay the first £100 of any replacement tyre and you can have any tyre you want. I think it cost me around £135 for a full set of Conti's last May including fitting after the set that I had all developed mysterious slow punctures...

happen to me the other day :worried: at a shopping centre ( merry hill ) got my mate to bring his axle stand and went to the garage and got a new tyre but it is annoying when ur wheel wrench dont fit my locking wheel nuts :| so a single 10 mins job took over a hour ( detour to mates house for a wheel wrench

Buy a matching pair and dont worry about a spare just buy urself some Slime which you can get at halfords or autosave etc. you can even buy it in a pack with a compressor and it wont ruin your tyre its just meant to be rinsed out prior to repair! you can pick them up for around 30 quid with a compressor. i went for the smart spair flat tyre repair kit. http://slime.com

Last edited:
Not seen that Slime before, think I'll pick some up. I like the fact that it doesn't kill the tyre!!! :smile:

Just to say Renault foam is water based so its fine to use.

I was so set on going with conti sport 3s again as i love the tyre....but are hancook v12 evos really that much of a steal?!?! Nearly half the price compared to the Conti's!

Gotta be worth a try surely?!

As mentioned on Facebook mate, go for the hankooks, you won't be disappointed and the only people that don't rate them are usually those that have never tried them and those that won't move away from Conti's.. Lol

The price difference really is HUGE

Stick them on the front or the back though....got fresh contis on the back atm

The price difference really is HUGE

Stick them on the front or the back though....got fresh contis on the back atm

Age old argument this one, some people say you should never put new rubber on the front whichi is kinda saying every new car that rolls out of a showroom is wrong. Lol

Personally, I'd stick em on the front, whenever I've put rears onto the front they have worn down much quicker than normal.

I've always been told to put the new ones on the rear. The reasons I have always been told are to a. get rid of the old rubber quicker b. the rear tyres are the ones that give you cornering grip. When you think about it, it does make sense.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
930Tech Spotted 0
F Wheels and Tyres 6
Webby Wheels and Tyres 11