Prob With Rear Window Demister?

4parajon

Paid Member
Its a 10plate 200 and the bottom 4 strips dont work......never have as long as Ive had it.....which wasnt a prob in the summer but could be over the winter months. Had a brief look using the search facility but couldnt find anything.
Is it a common fault?
Anyone know if its an easy fix?
Or could I claim on the warranty?

Mine does the same mate, I haven't looked but this happened in my last car due to the separation of the heating wires as it runs in parallel, if one of the wires in the middle was caught the whole system would still run apart from current that could not glow through that wire.
If it bothers you that much some foil tape across the areas that have separated, for me it hasn't been much of a bother as it's only the bottom 2 :tongueout:

I think you can get some touch up 'paint' to rejoin the elements. I've found in the past it happens when preople put stickers over them and then people are a bit heavy handed removing them again.

If its a ten plate and your under warranty, take it back to Renault. I had a new rear window because two of my strips had broken.

The touch-up paint stuff is pretty naff to be honest. It will work if you've got a tiny break in the heating wire (i fixed mine this way), but if it's any longer than a few mm you'll struggle. The conductor paint is so thick and sticky, it's almost dry before you get it on to the screen. It costs a fortune too. About £17 for the smallest pot of paint you've ever seen (rant over). Needless to say it didn't work when I tried to repair my fiancee's rear screen, it just looked a mess of silver splodgy lines... lol.

Update - Took the car in for a service @ Renault Manchester just before xmas & enquired about the rear window & they said they would have a look into it. I received a call off them about an hour later saying that the window strips had been damaged and as such it would'nt be covered under the warranty. I ten got another call about 30min later saying that he'd discussed it with the service manager and that it would be covered, the screen would be ordered that day and done in the new year. Took the car in yesterday and its been done under the warranty as promised. Result :smile: