Rear Shock Problem

Mattbarri

Paid Member
Hi everyone
I have just purchased a 197 which i intend to use as a track car. The car is brilliant but as i was stripping out the interior i noticed that the rear shock on the drivers side is loose and rattles when driving. As you can see i have attached pictures of both the rear shocks. I'm not sure what it is called but the passenger side has got like a cup around the nut which seems to lock it off and stop it moving. I have undone the nut and the cup seems to be welded to the car. T he other side doesn't seem to have anything there was just a rubber washer which was falling off. I know the car was put in a ditch by the previous owner which could be the problem.
If anyone has any ideas on a fix please let me know as i have no idea where to go from here.
Thanks
Matt.
rear shock passenger.JPG rear shock drivers.JPG

top half of damper body bush is missing thats why - theres two rubber "top hats" that go underneath and on top of the wheel arch where the damper goes through with a washer and nut holding it together

top half of damper body bush is missing thats why - theres two rubber "top hats" that go underneath and on top of the wheel arch where the damper goes through with a washer and nut holding it together

Thanks for your help. Do you know if thats something i can buy on its own or do i need to buy the whole unit.

I asked for covers and boots for the rear (when I had Bilstein B14s, as they require you to move over the standard items) and I was told they do not sell them separately, you have to buy the whole rear damper.

You best bet is buying some goosed rear dampers off someone and stealing the bits you need off them.

This is exactly what I was thinking! That is more worrying!
With the rubber top mount it should get rid of the vertical play when at full droop and transitioning on quick sharp bumps. I'd try it without the cup and see what happens.

I have recently got new (2nd hand) shocks so have the old complete topmounts, the upper and lower rubber cups and the metal centre. I *may* have another but it was in the box destined for the tip at my parents so ill have to see if its already been taken down. PM me bud.

20180607_114651.jpg

It looks as if there is a cup there but it's a different design from one side to the other.

I haven't had mine apart and can't get access to my boot at the moment so not sure if it's correct or not. Definitely needs the top bush though.

I found a pic where both sides have the same cup? That was a 2008 197, it doesn't have the spot welded strengthener on top either?