200: Price of a decent 200 next spring?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a 200 next year, earliest possible point would be spring, but would happily wait until summer if it meant I got a better deal.

I will be looking for a Cup, or FF with Cup Chassis, other than this I would like Recaros, but they certainly wont be a must. The important thing to me will be low mileage, I would hope for around 25-35k.

I just wondered if anyone could guesstimate the price? Will the Clio 4 have any dramatic effects on the price?

Your help/knowledge is much appreciated,
Cheers,
Tom

That's been for sale for ages and has been subject to a couple of threads about it, without seeing it for myself I don't like the look of it, I've been looking for a 197 with a £6k budget for a second car to my 200 and I wouldn't waste time driving to look at that with price and time it's been for sale, might be genuine but I smells something not quite right

Yeah, it certainly seems to good to be true.

Why a 197 as a second car to the 200? (If you don't mind me asking)

What are your thoughts on 197 vs 200?

Maybe a 197 would be more realistic for me next year, it just seems it gets poor reviews compared to the 200?

Many thanks.

That white 200 has been crashed.

Price in the spring

200 Cup on 30k with recaros- £7750-£8750 depending on options & colour ( A/C must have )

200 FF on 30k with recaros- £8500-9500- as above
Increase to £10k if its sub 20k miles

S

Drive both and see which you like most? I've drove both and bought the 200, love every minute but now want a 197 to mod up for track use :smile:

Cheers Steve, looks like good info there mate. Personally not bothered about A/C, so I will be happy with the most basic Clio in terms of accessories apart from Cup chassis.

iAndy, would love to have the luxury of driving both but right now I'm only 20 and Renault wont let me near any RS's :worried:.

it just seems it gets poor reviews compared to the 200?

I think the problem was that at the time, the 197 really moved the game on in terms of how composed it is. The 172 and 182 were a little more playful to drive and very raw cars. A lot of the press jumped on the fact that the 197 had made the Clio more grown-up, if you will, and that becuase it's a larger car physically it had lost some of the sensation of speed etc. of the smaller 1*2s. Plus the fact that it was a MASSIVE jump from the 182 to 197 in every way, it's like comparing cheese to dynamite. But obviously the press are always going to compare a new car to it's predecessor and no doubt it will happen all over again when the 200T is compared to the outgoing 200.

By the time the 200 was released, all of the competitors had also made their small cars more grown-up. And when judged against its rivals it was a lot more raw and with the better gearing and slight increase in low-RPM torque it had righted the wrongs that the press had with the 197. In reality there's not a great deal between the two cars in terms of outright performance and you wouldn't be dissapointed with either.

A lot of 1*2 owners don't like the 197/200 because it isn't a 1*2. Same as a lot of people with a 197/200 will not like the new 200Turbo regardless of how good it is or how much it moves the game on. It's hard to judge how much prices will drop from now to next summer, but I'm sure they'll be lower. On the plus side, you have plenty of time to read and look around and then when the time comes you'll have a really clear idea of what to look for and what you want in terms of spec' etc..

Thanks alot for that explanation, Willis!

Yeah, you're right I will be doing as much reading and looking around as possible until then.

I may re-evaluate my thoughts on the 200, as you can get 197's much cheaper, and if there's not much between them, it may well be the best choice.

Anything will feel faster then the 111hp Clio I'm driving atm!