Pre-cat, Y-pipe, remap ... headache :D

deekay16v

Gold Member
Hey,
since my precat started rattling like crazy, core is detached from the casing and I do not want it to disintegrate and clog the main cat I wonder what to do?

I have planned to fit Y-pipe atd first, but cannot find any other than supersprint, which is stupid money for what it is.
Next alternative is gutting the precat like on cup cars. But I have read on I think italian forum, that CUP cars do not have simply gutted precats, but they have some plates welded in to adjust flow. Can anyone shed a light?
And it looks like I will be in need of a remap. I dont have any other mods and tbh do not plan any engine wise in the near future.

Here I have again two alternatives:
Buy rstuner from Henk and use his map. (I can get the Premium version with datalogging without PC and he sends from EU which is a big bonus for me (we have utterly stupid customs).
or
Buy from RStuning with their map (I would rather have map from them), but hindrance with buying outside EU and I have to drive with laptop to datalog since they sell only Pro version :worried:

btw I have been emailing woth RStuning, and they recommend Y-pipe over gutting the precat, which makes sense, byt I wonder how the difference will be in real life?.

It seems to be much hassle just because stupid precat anyways :worried:
Anyone sorted that or had similar problems? The best solution?

Thank you thousand times :smiley:

I can, but It is supposed to be PITA to map it even to original power.... :worried: And I can only use rempote remapping.

Gonna copy & paste something I posted a while back around the RSTuner - give it a read. I can't recommend it enough!

Buy the RS Tuner kit (includes a free custom remap). I have one and out of the £1000's spent on my 197, this one tool has been the most impressive bang for buck....

It allows you to read all specific faults and errors, view all live sensors/data and record this data when driving etc... Ability to download/backup and upload ECU mapping and calibration files. There are also separate modules that you can purchase (which I have done) that open access to:

Airbag Module support - Allows you to view what airbags are detected and whether they are enabled (if you remove an airbag, you will get a light, plug this in and you can disable that specific airbag and clear the airbag light fault)

Electronic Power Steering Config Module - Allows you to read and clear any steering related fault codes AND choose the power steering assistance you desire (ranging from weak to strong via the RS Tuner software)

ABS Module - Ability to read and clear ABS faults AND gives access to enable the pump to assist with bleeding the brakes (SUPER handy)...

Once you have purchased the modules as above, they are permanently unlocked on the hardware, meaning you can use it on ANY Clio 197/200. If you want to get a customised map/calibration for a mate, they need to buy the unlock code (reprog license) for their ECU and then purchase the stage 1 map/custom calibration totalling 118 Euro (roughly £100)...

Yes, they are based in NL but the chap (Henk) who I have dealt with has been fantastic. He went the extra mile by helping me diagnose cooling issue and faulty coil packs when in reality, he didn't have to help at all...

Response times are usually next working day (most of the time I've had a response in less than 24 hrs). Since my custom map back in 2019, I have had 0 cold start/kangarooing issues, hugely improved flat-spot (almost non-existent) and the car pulls very smoothly throughout the entire rev range. Before the map, I had terrible kangarooing, the flat spot was so bad it would make the exhaust pop/bang (and not move anywhere) if I put too much throttle on and I had different areas of the rev range where it would pull a bit harder than other areas (difficult one to explain, but it's almost like it had a vtec from like 5-6k revs then it stops...). Turns out the map that was on my car was really REALLY bad (I didn't ask for specifics but I think the timing was advanced so much it was a surprise the engine was able to cope?).

Not sure how many other people have these but just have a nose through the site and give it a shot. Anybody that's local to South West (Bristol) are welcome to have a look at how it works and can plug it into their Clio also.

Hope this was helpful for someone, at least!

Sorry - another post I put up on a threat around the RSTuner from fastchip.nl (copy and pasted):

I would recommend the RSTuner kit from fastchip.nl. They are 244 Euros but you'll get the kit (box that plugs into your OBDII port and a USB on the other end to connect a Windows laptop). Download the RSTuner software and away you go - full access to Renault codes, live sensors/graphs, brake bleeding tools etc etc. The kit comes with a Stage 1 custom map where you will be asked to record a few pulls in a specific gear until redline etc and then send the data to the mapper (Henk), he will analyse the data and return a custom calibration/map file for your car that you canflash using the RSTuner tool.

RSTuner Kit
RSTuner Kit Clio 3 products RSTuner Diagnostics & Programmer kit
fastchip.nl
fastchip.nl

This allows you to do more than just airbag control and it's extremely simple to use. You'll need to pay to unlock the airbag module (49 Euros - ~£45 quid?) but check the link and you'll see what you can do with it;

Bosch ABG 9.0 support for Clio 3
Bosch ABG 9.0 support for Clio 3 Clio 3 products Clio 3 Bosch 9.0 airbag controller support
fastchip.nl
fastchip.nl

1663283849291.png

There are a tonne of other bits that it can do like change the power steering sensitivity, ABS/brake fault reading etc. After 5 years with my 197 and the many £1000's spent, this single tool has been one of the best investments.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Sean197
Tnak you Frank for very helpful info. RStuner is definately only option for me. Just wondering if from hank or RStuning. I do not know how good are maps from hank compared to RStuning. The last thing I want is to ruin my engine because too lean/rich etc. I dont mind power gains, but for example better electronic accelerator behaivior would me helpful. Tbh I do not mind flatspot that much either, since I basically never drive my car under 3000rpm and if so, i dont mind it being sluggish because I am in traffic jam :smiley:

So I guess the best option will be order RStuner, with a map that adress gutting of the precat, then remove the precat core and load the map right away, so I do not ruin something. Then I can finetune map by sending data to Hank.

Well, just oredered RStuner from Henk. According to him car will be safe to drive without pre-cat with Stage 1 map that is included. After some datalogging, I will buy custom tune to have it 100% right.
So thanks for advice again :smile:

Good stuff. I highly recommend the additional modules for ABS and Airbags also.

Make sure you have a decent battery charger too (i think they recommend minimum 10amp).