Power Figures after cam package

Quick question on power, my car has the below spec:

Catcam 402s
Y-pipe pre cat delete,
Main cat delete,
Ktec cat baclk system
ITG Maxogen

Recently fitted Renparts engine on 29K with compression check completed and ran 180 on all 4.

After a remap at ktec the car made 199.4bhp and 170lb of torque.

The induction kit was completely blocked at the point of mapping which I was not aware of, and I have since cleaned this out.

The car feels a lot more alive and you can really feel the power change as the cams kicks in, but are these numbers disappointing as I have seen cars with no mods and a map making between 197 and 201?

I need to get back on the dyno but would the blocked induction kit hold back a lot of numbers (meaning between 5-10bhp) or would that not make much difference?

Car was mapped at ktec and everyone is saying their rollers are very high and I am not seeing the effects of that. I am not chasing numbers but just expected a better result.

ITG.jpg

'blocked' air filter and 200bhp and you're complaining? Maybe you should have gone for a megane conversion.

Im not complaining, I am just questioning as I have seen a lot of numbers above 200 with no cams etc, so expected a bit more that's all, and my question is how much impact would the induction have..

All I see is people bitch about how high ktecs rollers run and then mine makes lower then some standard cars, just seems strange thats all.. If its normal then great!

Of course a blocked air filter would massively affect the Hp output. If the car isn't getting air in then the mixtures and everything are going to be out.

The car won't even pull properly if it's only managing to get a small amount of air in.

So if it was mapped with it like that, should it be mapped again to adjust the mixture do you think?

I am annoyed that after having the engine replaced and mapped they did not inspect the filter to be honest....

I'm sure having it mapped again would make a difference with no restriction being on the car now, actually being able to get the air it needs and the engine would be much more free pulling.

They usually do a health check before mapping; compression and timing, sounds like they did that?

As as much as it's easy to point a finger, sometimes it's just down to yourself to check, like making sure the car is serviced, plugs, filter etc before going for a map.

The car went in with an engine that ran 161bhp with no compression. I have a replacement engine and the cam package done at the same time, which finished off with a map.

It has new plugs, new oil etc but didn't get the chance to check the filter myself as the car was with them for over 2 months.

My ITG is looking a little worn so considering a new filter, might get it fitted and mapped at the same time then and hope for the best! As said above it doesn't drive bad or feel like the power is missing, just question as people all seem to post high numbers with a lot less done.

Cheers

The car went in with an engine that ran 161bhp with no compression. I have a replacement engine and the cam package done at the same time, which finished off with a map.

It has new plugs, new oil etc but didn't get the chance to check the filter myself as the car was with them for over 2 months.

My ITG is looking a little worn so considering a new filter, might get it fitted and mapped at the same time then and hope for the best! As said above it doesn't drive bad or feel like the power is missing, just question as people all seem to post high numbers with a lot less done.

Cheers
@Gez is correct

he%27s+right+you+know.jpg

If you've cleaned that filter and it was mapped when blocked, you've potentially lost power due to too much air and not enough fuel...

Not always the case, but the ECU can only adjust a certain amount and that filter looks absolutely wanked.

You could be running lean.

Don't look at the final figures but at the difference in bhp before and after the "package" because we all don't have the access to the same rollers.

Don't look at the final figures but at the difference in bhp before and after the "package" because we all don't have the access to the same rollers.

As the man says get one car on one rolling road it will give different results to the same car on different rollers. They aren't as accurate as people like to think, it can be effected by who has the throttle while on the rollers.

Where are all these clios with 200bhp without upgraded cams?

Here...here. :wink:

BTW: just with the cams & remap they claim 15bhp increase so if you've started with 185bhp you should be at ~200bhp.

I bet 90% of you saw this dyno chart.:smile:

16.197_cams_test.jpg

I always look at the difference before and after the mod on the same rollers because our rollers can produce different results and those results are (if you want to be realistic) not comparable.

I also use GPS 100-200km/h timing to time my passes and see if the car got any faster on the road (because some mods you don't see on the rollers such as lightened flywheels/pulleys/wheels,...), and my friends whom I street race - the best way to see the results.

Last edited:
Never really understood why folk go chasing figures!
sureky if it drives good and feels fast to you then that's what matters ? rather than a bit of paper with a graph and some numbers on it that may not be totally accurate.

on topic though I would get it mapped again with the clean filter and I'm sure you'll make a few more bhp and torque

Mine is on cams, K-tec induction kit, Akrapovic and matched inlets. 200bhp@RSTuning rollers.
Yeah wouldnt chase bhp figures on these cars imo

for instance the above has cams, matched inlets and the most expensive exhaust. All he has is 2bhp more than me lol just shows you that spending money on all these mods on these cars gets you no where in terms of bhp figures. Driveability on the other hand is a different story all together

Go get yourself a better panel filter (K&N) or V6 airbox and get it remapped again.

The gains in our cars are in the intake side of the engine.

These figures should be in between 205-210bhp on the same rollers.

Last edited: