play in lower offside ball joint picked up at MOT (updat need urgent advice)

You sure they have replaced the right ball joint? There are three per side.

Also it may be sensible to have them show you on a parts diagram exactly what they have replaced and what needs to be replaced.

This doesn't show the lower arm, but does shown the hub carriers;

FrontHubs.jpg

Technically the "hub" is numbers 5 and/or 12. Neither of these parts are wear parts.

What is more likely is that the inner hub carrier (7 and 1) which includes the top ball joint, or the outer hub carrier (3 and 9) which contains the middle or "lower upper" ball joint, may need to be replaced.

When replacing the outer hub carrier there is a danger that the wheel bearing bolts may shear or round, so a new wheel bearing (4) could be required. The middle ball joint joins to part 2 / 8 with a pinch bolt. These can round or shear meaning that part 2 / 8 may also need to be replaced. You can't just heat it up as it can affect the aluminium casting.

Last edited:
Thanks very much ralphy I'm going to take that to the garage and see what they r talking about. I am totally confused lol they said I had slight play in my lower offside lower ball join which is what they were fixing and obviously it comes with the suspension arm so I am bloody lost now

The more common ball joint to go is the middle / lower upper one. It may be that it has failed since the other was diagnosed back in August.

You will note from Karl's post that he also suggests this is the more common.

Well that's the cup in the garage getting all this carry on fixed 800 quid in all bloody ball joints wish I knew about this when it was still under warranty

I am honestly going to go mad with this ball joint carry on cars been in the garage for a few hours so I get a call from the garage turns out Renault have sent the part for the wrong side and I am now not getting my car back until at least Monday afternoon I feel like I'm going to go mad with this carry on how neglectful can Renault be these parts must be clearly identified