Plasti Dip for wheel refurb?

Hi all,

im considering getting my wheels refurbed as they are starting to bug me. However, I've just booked the car in for the cambelt change next week, so that will take a big chunk out of my bank balance.

So, to try and save a bit of money I thought I could plasti dip my wheels. I will be roughly following this guide http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-PlastiDip-Your-Cars-Rims-Matte-Black/step1

Going by the price of plasti dip on Amazon I should be able to do them all for about £40

I just wondered what everyones thoughts would be on this, how long will the plasti dip last before it needs redoing properly? will it be worth it or should I just save to get the wheels done properly?

cheers

My thoughts on plasti-dip, painting wheels with tyres on, DIY jobs at home when your hoping to get a factory finish ? Gash !!!

Do it properly - do it once.

Get the powder-coating done the month after if you cant squeeze it all in this month would be my advice.

Plastic dip, wont be hard-wearing, will look nothing like powder-coating - and if your already not happy with your wheels, you likely wont be happy with a "short-cut" way of coating them either.......

Nothing good comes quickly. Quality is worth waiting for...........

Actually Plastidip is a good way of having a lot of fun. Its not meant to be permanent. I get bored very quickly so having the same colour alloys for longer than a few weeks doesn't work for me. I loved my blaze green and blaze yellow colours. You can get clear coat and add pigment to it to make pretty much any colour you can think off.
It doesn't cover damage btw. Plastidip will last as for years if you take care of it. It can even be repaired if torn. Clean with soap and water. Its up to you when you want to replace it

FB_IMG_1459453978537_zps64dsqpow.jpg

Last edited:
One thing to note is that if your alloys have deep scuffs the plastidip won't fill the gaps up so to speak. You still may be able to tell the wheel is scuffed.

Thanks for the input, mine are lightly scuffed and also have a few stone chips, would the plasti dip cover that if I apply enough coats?

Thanks for the input, mine are lightly scuffed and also have a few stone chips, would the plasti dip cover that if I apply enough coats?
It will cover it for sure, but plastidip doesn't isn't self levelling. Although as you said they are lightly scuffed, I think they should come out good.