Planning a Clio 3 RS 197

Hi, let me introduce myself,

Ron, old man with a preference for compact hotthatches. Also a preference for custom-made small fast cars. 25 years ago I built my first hothatch, a 1983 Volkswagen 1 GTI with a 2.0 16V engine from a Golf 3 with two twin Weber carburettors. Over the years I have driven many different cars and brands in addition to 25 years of Alfa Romeo. Varying from Honda, BMW M5, BMW M3, Lexus etc. In addition, I have always had a classic Alfa next to my daily. A few years ago I was out of the loop when it comes to classic Alfas and I built a 1968 Classic Alfa Romeo Giulia 1300TI the way I've always wanted it. The Giulia is equipped with a 2.1 Cosworth engine with 185 HP, rear axle with differential lock, large brakes and Bilstein chassis. It is a semi track car that can also be used for a normal ride. The Alfa stands still in the winter because they throw quite a lot of salt on the roads here and because the Alfas are quite sensitive to the phenomenon of biodegradability, also called rusting

4-E6-BC48-C-71-D3-49-BB-87-FE-5-C03368-FEDD4.jpg

I've had my ultimate guilty pleasure in the garage under the Alfa for 1.5 years now. A 1971 Chevrolet C10 shortbed pickup with a 5.7 V8. It is a so-called shop truck. I once wanted to drive a V8 Pickup. But after 1.5 years I'm out, incredibly fun, sound unprecedented, but not my cup of tea. It will go on sale in a few weeks.

AC4-D96-E8-F7-FA-407-F-91-FD-6-EA0-D20-FBA36.jpg

Until a week ago I drove a Mini R53 JCW as a daily, which I built myself to my wishes. I rode semi-slicks almost all year and had a lot more fun with them than the C10. Got an offer I couldn't refuse on the Mini so it's gone

093-E4-DB6-3-B51-490-B-9-D0-E-434-A2-D2-ABCC0.jpg

After some research into what the successor of the Mini had to be, it was decided to drive electrically. I only drive short distances, have my own charging station, roof full of solar panels and petrol costs £1.76 per litre. But I do want to have a hot hatch for fun.

I once had a 2012 Clio III RS. I thought it was a brilliant car, especially the model, the wide hips and the line. Downside I found the much too high seating position, I had the Recaro sports seats, the noise in the interior at 120km/h in combination with the amount of revs the engine made. I think that was also due to the Milltek exhaust non resonated. The box also creaked and sang louder. The Clio had then run 45,000 kilometers

I have now conceived the plan to buy a Clio 3 RS in addition to the Alfa and to build it to my liking. I myself have a 4 column lift bridge, the Clio fits well on it. He can stand there for a few months just fine, so I can do a project at my leisure. Preparing, figuring out and building it myself is always part of the hobby for me. I can't do everything myself, but I can assemble coilovers, stabis, suspension rubbers, engine mounts, brakes, blocks, etc. myself. I have a few new Cobeau Clubsport seats in storage, they are a lot lower in the Clio I read here. I don't want to change anything on the outside of the Clio. I'm not a fan of extra spoilers and other Tupperware. The Clio may be a bit lower and that's about it.

I've figured out a few things now. I want a 197 Clio RS, I personally like the old nose better. Color is not really important, as long as the base is good, no damage and rust. I assume that the gearbox needs to be overhauled, the engine refreshed. I'd rather buy one with 200dkm and rebuild it. Then I know what I have. Only I'm also dubbed about a MegLio. I don't want a track car, rather a fast travel car. A turbo block is completely different from an atmospheric block, but I immediately get rid of the high revs. I don't care about originality, the Alfa also consists of 6 different models of Alfa Romeo. But I wonder if the Clio with a Megane engine and gearbox is not too heavy on the nose, despite the battery in the trunk.

I will read along for the time being and will ask some questions from time to time. But there will be another Clio RS.

Gr Ron

Welcome Ron!

There is a chap over here that makes lowering frames for the Recaro seats if you want those seats again. You’ll also find an Akrapovic exhaust more to your taste. No drone at motorway speeds but a nice tone when you want it.

Thanks ! Picked up the electric toothbrush on wheels totday. Ingeniously cheap from A to B. Next project make space in the garage, need some space.

E4-EEA736-E9-A0-4-F9-E-91-A8-DC0-EEC24-AB97.jpg