Pioneer Stereo Installation

Hi all,

I have been a bit slow not to have done anything to my Clio so far, been massively busy! :oops: The first thing I will do is change the stereo next week - I currently have the Cabasse 6-CD Changer upgrade in there. While Im changing the stereo over I will wrap the centre console with 3M carbon wrap and spray the trim gloss black because there's a couple of marks on it :smile:

I have been looking around for a stereo for my iPod for direct control and one that has bluetooth too and decided on the:
- Pioneer MVH-8300BT (http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-mvh8300bt.html) £280
- or the Alpine IDA range (http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-idax305s-bluetooth.html) £330
- or Kenwood KIV-700 and buy the BT adaptor for about £100 (KCA-BT300) (http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/kenwood-kiv700.html) £330ish

- ***EDIT I DECIDED TO GO WITH THIS ONE*** Kenwood KDC-BT61U (http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/kenwood-btc61u.html) £190

Any advice on those is welcome :smile:

Is it fairly easy swapping the stereos over in the clios; I've done a couple before in other cars and they were straightforward enough, but they werent French either :wink: I am guessing I will need a stalk adaptor if I want any functions on the steering wheel to work. Does anyone know where the best place is to get one and could someone possibly post a link? :smile:

Any other comments or advice is welcome, both on the stereo and on the re-spray/wrap of the dash. Thanks in advance,

Josh

Last edited:
You'll need a stalk adapter to retain the controls. You'll lose the screen in the dash though so it'll just read out the temp.

I went with the Kenwood for the exact reason that I wanted the USB in the glove box, that and it does everything else and is all integrated, you can change the colours of the lights/buttons to make it the same as the rest of the dash.

Swapping the stereo is easy if you get all the parts to start with, you'll need to remove the glove box for access and you'll need a aerial adapter too.

I went with the Kenwood for the exact reason that I wanted the USB in the glove box, that and it does everything else and is all integrated, you can change the colours of the lights/buttons to make it the same as the rest of the dash.

Which Kenwood one did you go for, the cheaper one without an LCD screen? Thanks for the help!

I think I will end up going for the Kenwood KDC-BT61U for £190 because its so much cheaper and the LCD screen is a bit of a gimmick when as a driver you rarely look at it (or if you are looking at the screen then youre not a 197 driver haha :wink: )

Last edited:
Which Kenwood one did you go for, the cheaper one without an LCD screen? Thanks for the help!

I think I will end up going for the Kenwood KDC-BT61U for £190 because its so much cheaper and the LCD screen is a bit of a gimmick when as a driver you rarely look at it (or if you are looking at the screen then youre not a 197 driver haha :wink: )

Sounds like you've come to the same conclusion I did, I have the previous version the BT60u though not sure what difference there is if anything. The fancy colours screens are only good for showing off or if you organise your music with album art properly, some of them play videos but who the hell watches videos on little screen like that I don't know.

I fed the microphone up to the drivers A-pillar just by pulling back the trim and everything else is fairly straight forward, I'd never installed a stereo and managed ok.
Copious amounts of electrical tape to tidy up the wires at the back means it's all very snug and clean.

The only problem I had/have is that it doesn't turn on with the ingition, which is a fault with the connects2 box I have.

Oh and while you're at it you might look at upgrading your speakers, might as well....

Sounds like you've come to the same conclusion I did, I have the previous version the BT60u though not sure what difference there is if anything. The fancy colours screens are only good for showing off or if you organise your music with album art properly, some of them play videos but who the hell watches videos on little screen like that I don't know.

Oh and while you're at it you might look at upgrading your speakers, might as well....

Agreed with the screen, as I said its a bit of a gimmick to be honest.

I was considering doing the speakers and also the tweeters on the dash at the same time. Are the tweeters a fairly easy job to do??

I will probably end up getting the BT61 as mentioned and then use the £100 saved on the headunit and put that towards some decent speakers. Have you changed yours, and if so, what to?

Last edited:
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-ts-q131c-renault.html

I got some of those simply as they were an easy fit, of course you could spend more....
They were a bit harsh at first but like any speaker even those made from modern materials they have a bedding in period after which they sound a bit softer.

I don't listen to much music with any heavy bass and 13cm speakers mounted basically in a flat panel are never going to wow you but it sounds pretty good now.

Yeh they replace the tweeters and the front speakers directly.

Errrrr on the ease of the fitment, the door speakers are a cakewalk though I had a lot of difficulty with the tweeters getting them out originally I'm afraid I never found a way to get them out that worked very well more a case of be careful they're a bit of a bitch to be honest.

You'll need a stalk adapter to retain the controls. You'll lose the screen in the dash though so it'll just read out the temp.

Do you know the code for the stalk adaptor? I had a quick search on the forums and it seems to be the CTSRN005. Thanks a lot for your help!! :smiley:

Do you know the code for the stalk adaptor? I had a quick search on the forums and it seems to be the CTSRN005. Thanks a lot for your help!! :smiley:

That sounds right, mine was a different with it being a 200. For some reason on car audio direct there's a CTSRN005 and CTSRN006 with an overlap in the dates for the Clio......

It's the 005 for the 197 & 007 for the 200.

I personally went for the alpine Ida as nothing comes close in terms of iPod control. Downside is no cd mech, but a changer could be added if your set on cd's. I just rip cd's to apple losless.

You may have a problem with Cabasse as the aerial and remote wiring are both under the seat, and I haven't come across them behind the dash. The power and speaker plugs are accessible behind the head unit though.

Be careful with the tweeters, go in from the side, new covers are around £45 each.

Has anyone mentioned that you need the surround trim to fill in the gaps around the stereo?

It's the 005 for the 197 & 007 for the 200.

I personally went for the alpine Ida as nothing comes close in terms of iPod control.

Thanks for the help! I was going to go for the Alpine, but for the sake of an extra £80-140 over the Kenwood I will probably go with that and spend the extra money on the speakers. Ive had a Kenwood in the past with direct iPod control and it was really good, but from what Ive heard the Alpines are also very good :smile:

You may have a problem with Cabasse as the aerial and remote wiring are both under the seat, and I haven't come across them behind the dash. The power and speaker plugs are accessible behind the head unit though.

Be careful with the tweeters, go in from the side, new covers are around £45 each.

Has anyone mentioned that you need the surround trim to fill in the gaps around the stereo?

Is it going to be a pain in the arse to fit the stereo with the aerial and remote wiring being underneath the seat? Have you/anyone else fitted a headunit having already had the Cabasse?

As for the surround trim, my stereos that i've bought previously have come with one so I just presumed this would be the same and would fill in the gaps?

I haven't fitted an aftermarket stereo, but have had my dash apart a few times.

The power and speakers are extended from the original position, you can just disconnect the extension.

I haven't come across any extensions for the aerial, display or remote.

It may be possible to just rereoute these items back to the centre of the dash, though some unpicking of loom taping may be necessary.

What are you trying to achieve exactly? I wanted bluetooth and ipod control so added a Parrot MKi9200 to my Cabasse, with good results.

As for the surround trim, my stereos that i've bought previously have come with one so I just presumed this would be the same and would fill in the gaps?

No, the ones that come with the stereo just hide the edge of the din size cage. You will need the trim from eBay...it's only a few quid.....or you will have gaps to each end.

What are you trying to achieve exactly? I wanted bluetooth and ipod control so added a Parrot MKi9200 to my Cabasse, with good results.
I did consider that route but I like to have the whole thing built into one unit and control the ipod from the headunit directly whilst its tucked away in the glovebox. My cabasse also has damage on the front of it and so worsens the intetior look anyway.

No, the ones that come with the stereo just hide the edge of the din size cage. You will need the trim from eBay...it's only a few quid.....or you will have gaps to each end.

Ahh ok, I will have a look, didn't realise there would be a gap either side of the cage after putting in that piece of trim. Thanks for the help everyone!! :smiley: :smiley: