Petrol question - don't flame me!!!!!

Hi all

If I posted this on ClioSport I would need a flame suit :shout: but hopefully I will have more luck here.

My car went in for the cambelt service today and when getting the service book out of my car wallet, a sheet of paper fell out of the back saying the car should be run on 97-98 RON petrol.

I have always run my car on 95 RON and am very happy with it. When I had my CTR I used VPower and other forum members there said they ran supermarket fuel and noticed no difference.

I won't put supermarket fuel in and only found that VPower made the engine feel a bit smoother in my previous cars but that was it.

Does 95 or 98 RON fuel really make any difference, apart from to my wallet????

Thanks

It makes a slight difference on MPG and bhp figures.. The car as standard is mapped to use 95-97ron from memory (open your petrol cap and it says 95-97 or 95-98 )

I use supermarket fuel as I'm a tight bastid.. although sometimes it can run a little rough.. I usually have my boot down so don't notice :smiley:

I run sainsburys 97 now, no difference to vpower IMO, I think it's in your mind sometimes.
I always ran mine on vpower but then used some 97 sainsburys and noticed no difference and it's like 10p cheaper!

I use 95ron from supermarket (tesco/morrisons) on the road and track. There isn't any difference compared to other 200 especially on track.

MPG wise I'm averaging 33MPG indicated.

the car adjusts the timing to what grade fuel you put in, ive alway use v power as it runs alot smoother than 95 ron petrol ive used.

I always put the superv stuff in, v-power, tesco ultimate etc etc. The car may not run better but i tend to do it for engine health like the fuel lines and injectors as the higher octane stuff is more refined (slightly). I may be completely wrong but even if i am i'll still do it as makes me feel better for the sake of a couple of quid per fill up :smiley:

I always use vpower as it's 99ron which helps avoid detonation, the higher the octane the better really especially if you have a highly tuned n/a (or turbo) engine and to be fair the standard rs engine is highly tuned.

Not only that, vpower has other additives that keep your engine and injectors clean. This months Redline magazine has an intersting article about why decent higher octane petrol is so essential in motors like ours. As they said putting 95 ron in your engine is like Usain Bolt living of takeaways - you get the picture. :smile:

If anything mine feels smoother on 95 despite being mapped on 99.

The sticker on my fuel cap says 95-98 so I'm guessing 95 is fine!

It makes a slight difference on MPG and bhp figures.. The car as standard is mapped to use 95-97ron from memory (open your petrol cap and it says 95-97 or 95-98 )

I use supermarket fuel as I'm a tight bastid.. although sometimes it can run a little rough.. I usually have my boot down so don't notice :smiley:

My car has 95 and 98 Ron with an orange sticker covering the 95 ron so I guess it means 98 ron is the one to use.

I always use vpower as it's 99ron which helps avoid detonation, the higher the octane the better really especially if you have a highly tuned n/a (or turbo) engine and to be fair the standard rs engine is highly tuned.

Not only that, vpower has other additives that keep your engine and injectors clean. This months Redline magazine has an intersting article about why decent higher octane petrol is so essential in motors like ours. As they said putting 95 ron in your engine is like Usain Bolt living of takeaways - you get the picture. :smile:

The reason I don't use supermarket fuel is for the lack of additives. As I only do about 5k miles a year I should probably start using VPower. It normally takes a few tanks for the effect to be noticed.

Thanks all for answering this intelligently :thumbup:

The thing is I think in Aus* they have 91 ron and 94ron? Something silly low. They run clio 197's and 200's hows that work?

*Might not be aus but its around that area on the globe!

I've tried both not noticed any difference to be honest i try to put shell in every 4-5 fills

dont forget if you put in 95 a few times and run it then switch to 98 it wont change overnight - the octane isnt all 98 as it will be mixed with 95 not only that the engine will have "adapted" to 95

for ultimate engine performance the higher the octane the better and given that the fr4 clio is 11:1 compression (i think) then 98 will give better results as it will stand more ignition advance before detonation which in turn means more torque which as we all know means more bhp...

Funnily enough on mine the cold kangerooing stopped when i started using 95 ron instead of v power.

Seems to be no difference in performance or mpg on 95

i just stopped running tesco 99, cars been playing up like a *******, now iam am doing a 22 mile round trip for vpower.

Seeing as I have just had a major service and the belts done, I decided to fill up with VPower. I don't know how much is down to the service and how much to the change of petrol but I can say that my car is very lively at the moment and I keep running out of revs!!!!!

I'm having a lot of fun in it :smile:

Its the USA that has the crap fuel. Here in Australia we have the same grading system as the UK. Most petrol stations have 91, 95, 98 RON and maybe a Bio fuel with 10% Ethanol. A few select places have 100RON.