Petrol prices/ lots of miles/ insurance VS. I want a 197

With petrol prices being ridiculous and me doing over 300 miles a week for work, I first considered a Clio for a long while and then gave up and thought about a diesel.

For a decent diesel it's expensive probably more than a 197, and by a decent diesel I mean one I would like to keep for a few years...

I want a Clio 197 an awful lot and turned down the idea after paying alot of money for petrol the last few months, but after looking at diesels I really don't want one.

Wanna keep the car for a couple of years and don't want a diesel which I will hate after a bit caus of sloppy handling and low redlines!!

Do people think a £200 petrol bill a month is acceptable, in gunna be paying around £150 back on the Clio loan.

It's wheying up the economy and insurance of say a fabia vrs and the joy of owning a fast capable hot hatch!

Advise welcome

Cheers

We budget £260 a month for petrol alone :smile:

I wouldn't change the 197 for anything else, other than a 200 :wink:

£200 a month you'd have be doing fifty in sixth gear in a straight line down a hill, very hopeful figure sorry to say.

I used to commute 300 miles a week in mine for the first month or two owning it, you'll be looking at a petrol bill much closer to £300 a month.

I'd love to tell you to get one but it sounds like you know it's not exactly suited to the task.

£200 a month don't really mean much matey, we need to know how many miles you will be doing. ATM I am putting £20 in every other week just because it is hardly being used. Come summer it will be a lot more (£70 going by last summer, obv more now with increased prices) and I don't even use it to commute.

IIRC it works at about £1 per mile in fuel give or take a little bit. Hope that helps :smile:

If you look on one or two threads that have been posted up recently, you will see the average mpg everyone is getting in the real world. I am currently averaging about 22 mpg. But I do short journeys and have very heavy shoes, especially the right one! Lol! The best I have ever had was the day I bought the car and drove it home about 50 miles, 35 mpg. Motorway drive. I have the lucky benefit of a fully paid for works van (including fuel which can be up to £100 a week).

if i had to do high miles in mine..................i wouldnt have it as the costs would be crippling :nope:

If you're worried about fuel prices now - you should think long & hard about getting a 197 for a 300 mile a week commute.

The duty increase in April is likely to add 8p per litre (incl projected fuel prices rise).

As previously stated you'd probably be looking at closer to £300 a month (at current prices) :blush:hmy:

I do exactly 300 miles a week, that is a full tank for me, all motorway driving.

£300 just for work, anything personal over weekends is extra.

My god your maths is terrible!

30MPG = £0.20/mile assuming £6 per gallon!

:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol well you will be pleased to know my new role has nothing to do with money! Probably a good thing :thumbsup:

Anyway back OT; Clios ain't cheap to run!!! :nope:

They're definitely not good on the fuel

Depends what sort of roads you commute on though, stick the cruise control on at 60mph and you'll get 40mpg. I used to average 31-32mpg when I was doing about half motorway/half town driving but now I do mostly town driving I average mid 20s

Avoid a 197 if you have any concerns about fuel costs - its only ever going to rise in the future too :worried:

Best i have ever seen is 34 mpg :worried::worried::worried:

Get a 182 Clio if you want the economy.

A late plate car will have had its belts done to & be lower down the depreciation curve. So much cheaper over the year.

My wife went Fabia VRS to 182 to 197.

The Fabia did 50mpg the 182 did 40 mpg. She is on Maternity Leave since the 197 so no comparable miles. But I figure 35 mpg on Super over her commute.

But the cost per mile was closer as when she did the swop a few years back diesel was 10p a litre move than standard unleaded which we ran the 182 on. So it moved from 11p per mile to 12p..... them were the days.

AVOID!!!!

im getting rid of mine for the very reason i do close to 700 miles a month and at first it was fine. but now its a NO!
its a good car, but its just stupid to use it for anything other than small trips or weekend fun.
im currently looking at a 123D coupe and it works out cheaper for me to buy one of these and run it. Than running a 197... its just as fast/better top end/loads more power! comfy! and will not loose money as quickly.
its cheap tax, 50mpg, and if you have the m sport kit fun to drive and a very nice place to be. If your money can stretch i would think about one of these or a 120d or a 3 series.

Just my opinion tho.
of maybe buy my 197 and buy a **** run around

Chowie - i agree with all you've said apart from the "fun to drive" - they are boring, but very good cars if you want something "everydayish"

:smile:

lol tbh im building up my hopes when i finally test drive one at the weekend.

i really want it to be good and if its anything like the alpina i looked at last weekend it will be a smart place to sit as long as its got dark interior

i dont like bmw because of the image a bit like audis these days

but the 123d is supposed to be a very good motor !

sequential turbo diesel........very "potent" :jase:

Similar Thread Suggestions