Passenger Side Driveshaft

Sheldon88

Paid Member
Any trick to getting these out the hub, so far every nut ive come across has been seized and a nightmare to remove. Ive hammered it and put a hub puller on it which broke within 5mins? Loosing hope on it, do they teally get this seized

ece05586a7bee1270157435fe1fa3e8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah Clio ownership, that sounds about right... :laughing:

Yes they can be really siezed if they've never had any copper slip on the splines, what you really want is a hefty three arm bearing puller or... If all else fails a massive hammer, but you want to wind the nut on first as it'll make a right mess of the threads!

Choose your tool wisely:

hSD0pK9IvnRKuR9bQqHxOdqICfNQvUth721wXAlXdK4--ArJ8j0_Rq_9hpGJrb4EudlDfSixBPdpHL7AkG52LxeUkvsdWwXXYdqgr94

FAIFG10.JPG

Last edited:
I was in the same boat and what I had to do was buy an hydraulic hub puller and it was tight going you need to be careful impacts go right up the shaft and into the gearbox so stop hitting it. Mine was described as "Wheel Hub Press Puller Hydraulic 10 Ton 4 & 5 Bolt VW Audi Vag Peugeot Citroen " and was about £73 I was having some trouble with it but topping it up with trolley jack oil did the trick as it was low the other drive shaft pushed out with my thumb. This is a picture of the one I got

Hub puller 10 ton

1594652964423.png

I was in the same boat and what I had to do was buy an hydraulic hub puller and it was tight going you need to be careful impacts go right up the shaft and into the gearbox so stop hitting it. Mine was described as "Wheel Hub Press Puller Hydraulic 10 Ton 4 & 5 Bolt VW Audi Vag Peugeot Citroen " and was about £73 I was having some trouble with it but topping it up with trolley jack oil did the trick as it was low the other drive shaft pushed out with my thumb. This is a picture of the one I got

Hub puller 10 ton

View attachment 140987

I gave it some hits with a cooper hammer and nothing, tried a clarke hub puller tool but the hub ring was to big to fit in it so it didnt fit flush with the hub and broke..

Does the tool you recommended fit flush on the hub??

68fe7677d0c4bd374b9f5c8e3587c6c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hurray, I'm also in this same boat :worried:
I was going to replace the shocks, but due to the driveshaft seized into the hub I had to put everything back (one entire afternoon gone for this :imp:)

So, I bought this universal puller:
51qwMJ6PaZL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Now, my fear is: is it possible to get into more trouble and end up with the hub itself removed from the bearing?? It would pull right from there...
01040213-gif.156250

Attachments

• 01040213.gif
    01040213.gif
    35.9 KB · Views: 60
Just to add to this, when they’re stuck, they really are stuck.
I left one of mine soaking in ATF fluid for a good few months and it eventually came free after some hefty blows with a hammer.

Not really something which is very conducive of a DIY job on your driveway

• Sad
Reactions: Albert540
@turkie172 thanks for the hint, I will try to find something similar that's not too expensive...unfortunately I cannot find that same exact tool here (Italy)

@RSRowe, I'm starting to think that Clios should be left altogether a month or two in penetrating oil, especially with your lovely climate :uk:

Actually this is the very first part that I find stuck/seized (thanks to a little less rain here in the southern Europe, I suppose). I got the subframe down to replace the manifold, no rust issues at all, not even for the clamp between the cat and the downpipe that is really exposed to agents and remained untouched for 13 years...so, I hope that with a good puller the driveshaft will eventually come out! I mean, even the shocks can move freely inside the hub...:money:

You could just leave it in there and replace your shocks as planned.
It’s exactly what a garage would do over here. I’ve done it myself a couple of times :tearsofjoy:

• Haha
You could just leave it in there and replace your shocks as planned.
It’s exactly what a garage would do over here. I’ve done it myself a couple of times :tearsofjoy:
The front suspension on my car has been changed both ways. The first by leaving the driveshaft in place and taking the front damper out of the hub. The second by taking the driveshaft out of the hub and taking the front damper and the hub off of the car at the same time.

It was easier to take the hub off to change the suspension but it was possible to change it by leaving the driveshaft and hub on the car.

I have tried, but found that the driveshaft is limiting the amount of travel of the hub, and the dampers won't come out for just a couple of centimeters or so...
I suppose you had to compress the springs in place, right? Unfortunately my spring compressors don't find under there...

I have tried, but found that the driveshaft is limiting the amount of travel of the hub, and the dampers won't come out for just a couple of centimeters or so...
I suppose you had to compress the springs in place, right? Unfortunately my spring compressors don't find under there...
Yes, the springs were compressed with a set of spring compressors that we cut down to fit up closer to the top mount.

A large pry bar also helped.

I'm a little confused at what you're trying to do, but you don't need compressors.
Just undo the whole lot and pull it out in one big lump (top mount included)

Without compressing the spring at least a little bit, the damper bottom won't slide out of the inner hub, there's not enough movement due to the driveshaft limiting how far down you can move the hub assembly. At least this is what I've found (without forcing too much, didn't want to break anything! :chris2:)

Yep. You need to undo everything.

Balljoint, stabiliser link, drop link, track rod, abs cable, brake line, top mounts. Then pop the shaft out of the gearbox.

It will 100% come out in one big assembly.

I did the same on my Clio last time round. I split the shocker from the rest of the hub once it was out the car.

IMG_6307.jpeg

There’s also my preferred method of separating too ^

Ah well sure, removing the driveshaft from the gearbox side is the other obvious way!
Just so that I have an idea of all the possible alternatives: how difficult is that? Are there retaining bolts/nuts or circlips? Do you need to drain the gearbox oil? (I've read different views about this last one)
Thanks!