Over-active ABS

Hi Guys,

I have recently got myself a 197 cup which I am loving so far. The only thing I'm unsure of is the sensitivity of the ABS. It sems to kick in very easily at low speeds whenever you apply a decent amount of pedal. Also if i am stopping on any kind of loose surface the rears seem to lock up quite easily. I have also noticed if I am braking with any amount of steering lock the slightest bump on the road sets off the ABS as well. THe brakes certainly feel OK was just wondering if anyone else has the same observations.

Derek

Its possible for you to have a faulty/dirty ABS sensor, not particularly common on 197's from what I've seen though.

It might be worth looking in to a way to clean them. I'm sure someone better with the mechanics of it will be along soon that might know exactly where to find them on the 197 and the best technique for cleaning them, or just have a google.

Mine is quite over active but not as bad as yours sounds, I find it quicks in on uneven surfaces quite bad! Never been a problem for me though, I know quite a few people who have said its quite over active and wished they could turn it off!

Derek, i've recently bought my 197LUX too. I noticed exactly the same thing, the ABS kicks in far too soon. Can be a bit scary at times... i previously had an R32 Golf and i could absolutely hammer the brakes on without any interference from ABS. But it was a heavier car with very large brakes so maybe that explains it? Not as much fun as the clio though!...

Thanks for the Input guys the car has Continentals on it.

I'm sure its getting worse any amount of breaking on gravel seems to lock up the rears now. Back to Renault for a look I think.

I never had any problem with mine, the ABS was absolutely perfect on the track and only kicking in when the tyres lock.

I am finding my ABS over active. I'm not sure if it kicks in very easily on uneven surfaces purely because the chassis/suspension is very stiff compared to a 'regular' car.
Even jacking up the front wheel virtually lifts the back wheel as well, I know that doesn't happen on a regular car.
Anyway, I removed both front sensors and sprayed some brake cleaner into the hole that leads to the hub to get rid of any muck. I'll see if this helps tomorrow

I am finding my ABS over active. I'm not sure if it kicks in very easily on uneven surfaces purely because the chassis/suspension is very stiff compared to a 'regular' car.
Even jacking up the front wheel virtually lifts the back wheel as well, I know that doesn't happen on a regular car.
Anyway, I removed both front sensors and sprayed some brake cleaner into the hole that leads to the hub to get rid of any muck. I'll see if this helps tomorrow

i wouldnt want to do that so often the "excitor rings" are built in to the bearing oil seals and you could be putting a solvent in to the wheel bearing area....not good for the grease!

i wouldnt want to do that so often the "excitor rings" are built in to the bearing oil seals and you could be putting a solvent in to the wheel bearing area....not good for the grease!

Yeah, i thought it might when I saw the brake cleaner fluid running out of the gaiters.

I didn't see an 'excitor ring' in there. There was just the flat surface of the hub. Very confused as to how this thing works without some kind of ring/notch/reference point

I didn't see an 'excitor ring' in there. There was just the flat surface of the hub. Very confused as to how this thing works without some kind of ring/notch/reference point

its built in to the very end/flat face of the oil seal on the end of the hub/bearing - if you look very close on one you can just make out the segments of the ring for the sensor to pick up on!