Opinions on the 197 Cup

I'm looking to buy a 197 and have been avoiding the cup spec so far but it's proving difficult to find a car in decent condition and I'm reluctant to travel too far only to be disappointed again. This would be my only car and my concern with the cup is that I might miss the luxuries you get with the full fat (air con, keyless entry and go, electric mirrors etc etc). Just looking for opinions from those who have a cup, do you wish you had gone for a full fat or are you happy with the car you bought?

I'm happy

ive had both versions of 197.

Air con was an option on the cups btw. Only thinks that really irks me is lack of external temperature gauge!

Very happy with my cup.

A/C Recaros and speedlines, not much need for owt else :smile:

Went to look at a white cup today, 08 with 45k on the clock. It had the recaros which is nice but the drivers side was torn in the usual place. The garage has said they are waiting to have this repaired which I'm a little sceptical about but apart from that it was a very clean car. Just awaiting a final price off of them for a part ex before I make a decision.

The only thing id miss would be the keyless, I dont think i could have a car without it now tbh

I've had both. I loved my Cup more and didn't miss the keyless entry, climate or air-con. Well maybe the air-con a couple of times at Knockhill on hot sweaty day lol.

The way I looked at the Cup over the FF was there was less electrics that could go wrong.

Recaros are a must too, they really finish the car off.

I've had both. I loved my Cup more and didn't miss the keyless entry, climate or air-con. Well maybe the air-con a couple of times at Knockhill on hot sweaty day lol.

The way I looked at the Cup over the FF was there was less electrics that could go wrong.

Recaros are a must too, they really finish the car off.

I'll definitely be trying to get one with the recaros if I can. To be honest I probably use aircon about twice a year so I doubt I'll miss it and I've never had a car with keyless entry and go so I can't miss that either.

Thanks for the responses I think I'm going to widen my search :smile:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-08-R...0024420?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cde7198e4

This is the car I'm waiting on at the minute, FSH but no cambelt done and it's at the right age for that so that could be a point to make when negotiating the price.

7 grand. Jesus. I can see a little wear on 2 bolsters of the drivers Recaros too.

So realisticly your looking at a minimum of £650 for the belts (which judging by the age of it are due now or are overdue) around £250 for the seat repairs.

Without the belts and seats done I'd offer 5k for that.

7 grand. Jesus. I can see a little wear on 2 bolsters of the drivers Recaros too.

So realisticly your looking at a minimum of £650 for the belts (which judging by the age of it are due now or are overdue) around £250 for the seat repairs.

Without the belts and seats done I'd offer 5k for that.

Yeah I wont be paying 7 for it. They are apparently having the seat repaired but I'm not sure how good its going to look once done :huh:

Just had the garage on the phone and the lowest they are willing to go is £6500 with the seat repaired and the cambelt changed. Does this seem overpriced for on 08? Bearing in mind it's not a private sale and the car is in pretty much mint
condition other than the seat.

The clio isn't a comfortable or quiet car anyway and he interior no he nicest of places to be so the FF isn't any more luxurious IMO.

the 40 kg wouldn't be noticed much bu I wouldn't mind having the weight removed from mine! I needed the adjustable steering column though.

If they replace the bolsters and a decent company do it, it'll be fine.

Going on Parkers price guide 6500 seems bang on the money for that spec and mileage. Just make sure they do the full service, aux and cambelt water pump etc. Not looking forward to paying for mine :worried:

OK so I've reconsidered this and after a bit of reading up it appears (as Matt W mentioned above) that independent garages aren't to be trusted with the cam belt/water pump job on these engines. This would leave me at £6500 for the car and another £600 odd for the service to be carried out which is more than I'm wanting to pay.

I have however found this;

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...om/5500/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l?logcode=p

Having spoken to the guy he assures me the cambelt and water pump have already been done by Renault. In addition to this there is no apparent wear on the driver's Recaro on the photo (although not all of the seat can be seen from the photo) and the car is 6 months newer. I'll hopefully get over to look at this one on Friday.

Last edited:
In a completely biased view, I love my FF.
Climate control, keyless go and cruise control are nice to have. I do a lot of longer journeys in mine (200 mile+) and I find it an ok place to be.
It's not a BMW, but it's an excellent balance of comfort and awesome A road ability.