Opinions on mapping

Googled the r3 setup, jeez, that's a lot of work, will you not need to cut out the old tunnel for the longer primaries? Steps down into two pipes way back eh? Must sound immense, their intake and outlet is probably how they can obtain decent figures, along with internals obviously.
I like your route, the megane conversions must be good fun, always been a turbo man but I love the clio power band, just trying to get a bit more of a free revving torque band and have fun tinkering in the process, it's a hobby to me.

I've sourced some recaro factory seats that I'm hopefully picking up next week, bit of a trek but their worth it, if I never had kids I'd have the interior stripped out and race seats in tho lol.

My rs tuner arrived yesterday, just been reading through the online manual to get some sort of understanding before I contact Paul for a generic map, once that's all sorted I'll gather the info he needs for a custom one.

I'm surprised what it can all do though, it logs engine performance too, torque and bhp from what I can gather.

Sounds a good bit of kit, let us know when the map is on and how it feels.

I hope you don't have to feck around with the tunnel, if you do check the classifieds in about a month!! Simo has the full Aros R3 setup and I don't recall him talking about needing to do it, I'll have a ganders at his thread again later.
Yeah the kids and buckets will pose an issue, but the Oreca subframes I have now are supposed to be able to fit on the OE sliders. So for passenger side I will run both the Recaro and OE sliders as that should allow easier access. For driver side just the Recaro slider. Tbh these seats have proven a pain the a**! I should have just bought factory Recaros but they sit a bit higher and weigh a bit more so thought for the expense I want to go hardcore!

Maybe the tunnel doesn't, thinking about it, the hear shielding gives the illusion there's less room??

So what recaros to u have in just now? Non airbag cs? They are so dear but I'd looked into that.....the thing I don't like is they don't wear well, the fabric ones anyway!!

I'll keep you up to date with the tuner functions too

Recaro Apex, fixed back ones about 6.5kg. I got them for a steal brand new so at the time it would have been rude not to!

Yeah heat shield may need removing and replacing with some Zircoflex, hadn't thought of that. Been planning to do the replace the diffuser heat shield with this stuff for a while, should cut some resonance out as the heat shield and boot floor seem to act as a resonance chamber reflecting the sound. When I drove the car without the diffuser fitted it was so much quieter it was like a different exhaust.

You can put any map on the car, it can't lock itself. Just if you have a RsTuning map and you go for a custom map, the RSTuning map will either be modified or will be re-written.

Not quite true, both the fastchip maps and pauls maps will software lock your ecu so would need to be removed to be able to have someone else map your car, unless the company you use has the hardware and capability to get into the software on the ecu to remove it, and not all do....

So mike, say for example I have a custom map via Paul and later down the line I use henk (fastchips) or visa versa one would be locked to one another? or do you mean they both use fast chips software to write their maps?

Rich, I've noticed since I've developed a rattle when I shut my boot the defuser heat shield rattles....funnily enough the standard exhaust lately has seemed no what I'd class as louder but like what you say there's defo more resonance going on. Zirco flex? Is that a heat protective tape of sorts?

I'm saying either ones' maps/software will lock your ecu....... and will require specific equipment to be able to unlock that not all tuners will have.....

It should as they both state that they maintain your original software, afaik neither do anything with the original file

Handy to know cheers mike, doubt many people chop and change mappers and both henk and Paul have a good rep by what I've read but the whole locking out of software seems a bit restrictive.

Oh it can cause some swearing by your tuner!! But the guys that know their stuff will get by it to map as required

funny that, them both having a decent rep and both locking ecu's..... I believe there was an interesting discussion on the meganesport facebook page about it

Be interested to see this lol, was it a fairly recent discussion?

What's your views on fastchips? Henk or rs tuning?

Go whoever's cheapest at the time for the package you want....????

Last edited:
Depends on who the tuner is......

one persons 'generic' or 'remote map' may be better than anothers 'live' map, or vice versa...

Well would you in your experiences or opinion consider rs tuning good at what they do? Generic mapping obviously, one thing I will add, I'm getting it dyno'd up here with a wide band lambda so i can forward air fuel data down as a part of the custom map

Paul knows what hes doing with the maps he installs, my track day 182 runs a map installed by him after specky and paul fixed the old girl, my R26 used to run a map installed by him before i had further work carried out

Do you guys know if you can raise the idle speed via a quick easy setting in RStuner or does it require more effort than that? I'd like another say 100rpm just because the Vibra lower torque links shakes my steering wheel at idle :worried:

Does RStuner support proper live mapping too? I've only had a proper standalone before, never mapped an OE ECU so not sure how the software compares.

Glad to hear it, Paul seemed decent to talk to over the phone, informative and said he'd send me a map suited to what I've done to the car so far just to keep going until I send the info down for a custom map.