Opinions on mapping

Alright folks

I live up in Scotland and there's not too many people that's are savvied up on the mapping side of things.

I've impulse bought the rs tuner from rs tuning today, should arrive soon, mods are ktec induction and their cat back system....

What's everyone's views on them and what's your experiences? I

in 172/182 it's quite good, dont know about 197. Can you do "cracle" map on 197 with rs tuner like in 172/182?

I've read a few posts about pops and bangs maps burin think mainly on 172/182 as you said, I'm curous due to buying the tuner off rs tuning will I only be able to use their maps or could I still do full custom map through henk at fastchips?

I've read a few posts about pops and bangs maps burin think mainly on 172/182 as you said, I'm curous due to buying the tuner off rs tuning will I only be able to use their maps or could I still do full custom map through henk at fastchips?

You can put any map on the car, it can't lock itself. Just if you have a RsTuning map and you go for a custom map, the RSTuning map will either be modified or will be re-written.

Have you used the rs tuner personally? What's your opinion on it? Also relatively safe to use in regards to engine stress? Lean maps etc?

Thanks for your input

Anyone know if you buy an RStuner then take the car to say RS tuning or Ktec, are the maps they do compatible with the RStuner box?
The Henk map would be fine for a standard car but it is not suitable for an R3 manifold equipped car hence needing custom. I like the idea of the box though as I could buy the airbag module and sort the dash out properly for my Recaros.

Cheers.

Yes I'm sure they are, the maps are done on a laptop anyway so it's a file, that file can be stored and then uploaded anytime or any other map say standard! That's the benefit of it hence why I bought one, problem I have is I need to give rs tuning an air fuel reading on a dyno up here in Scotland so he can then custom make a map for me and I've called a few folk and they say they can't, trying to get me to still and weld another bung in manifold to fit a wide band lambda being the only they say, I'll need to call rs again!

So given I have the rs tuner does that mean I can buy the module for abs or airbag off henk?

Yes I'm sure they are, the maps are done on a laptop anyway so it's a file, that file can be stored and then uploaded anytime or any other map say standard!

Depends what software ktec and rs tuning use as to if it's compatible to be uploaded would be my thoughts?? Ktec has Renflash and RS tuning look to have their own box, so the RStuner will only work if there is compatibility I guess??

Yeah the RS tuner box has loads of modules to connect to it.

I bought the rs tuner off rs tuning and they're doing the custom map and sending me the file to upload so surely their maps are compatible?

As for the modules, so if i changed my seats and steering wheel for airbag less badboys I could reset so warning and service light is out?

Should be fine then, I'll check with ktec themselves if their maps will work too.

Thats what it says on Fastchips yeah. Looks like 2 potential airbag modules for the Clio 3, wouldn't have a clue which you'd need.

I seen that, Bosch and Tamec or something like that.

Googled my car age etc for airbag module but I think I'll need to call a dealership and check what's what!

Wee question for you, just bought ktec's cat back which I'm fittinf prior to mapping, should i decat it? Already have ktec induction, love a raspy system but hate droning in the cabin but performance wise, what's your thoughts?

Don't know tbh, only exhaust I've heard on these is my supersprint racing, which is flipping loud (92.8dB) outside and in! It drones and I still have both cats presently but the system is unresonated. I would assume a decat would generally cause droning in my experience on other cars though, usually get a resonance somewhere near 4k I find that booms.
I'd also want to check that others are passing the mot with just the pre cat in - I believe they are as this is essentially what the Akro Evo is (decat and resonated centre) so probably be fine, it's probably the best compromise on performance without faffing with manifold swaps and sports cats etc. But if the ktec is unresonanted it will be loud with a decat for sure.

Luckily it is resonated, don't think it's that beefy a centre section though, hence why I wanted to fit cat back first, assess the situation then look into decat, I've got kids, one being 5 months old and other 15 but he keep pushing me to tune it to death lol, don't want my wee daughter unsettled though :-(

I had a throttle bodied car when my kids were very young like yours, used to send them sleep without fail!

The girls I have (5 and 6) don't like the Clio when I floor it, but to be fair it is very loud in the back! My son 9, he sits up front and loves the noise, he's as excited for the R3 setup as I am lol!

Like you say fit it, live with it for a bit, then decide and do the remap then. No actual need for a remap on a cat back setup so you can mull it over.

I went to quantum at reidline near Inverurie for a generic map as they have a 30 day, no quibble, money back guarantee. Took into account the mods (decat - non res cat back - bigger throttle body - ITG maxogen) sent standard map away to quantum and applied it to the car. The map did make a difference but not a lot. I'm really after a customised map to make the most of the mods and the car. So its going to a place in fife who was recommended on here HQ Garage.

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?45226-Good-re-mappers-in-Scotland-north-of-England

R3 setup?? U need to tell me more lol!! There's a wee demon in my head telling me to buy used engine, strip and rebuild top spec over the next year or so then drop it in, meantime do the same with gearbox, get an old ones rebuild with a diff, slowly gather parts like lightweight clutch etc but where does it stop?? Could go buy a lotus for serious kicks!

Tuck, I contacted hq and they said they couldn't give me a airfuel read out to send on for a custom map but they'd need my car for the day just for a dyno readout and wOuld be in the region of 300 notes, sure we crossed wires to be fair cause some say they're ok!! Where u based?

R3 setup?? U need to tell me more lol!! There's a wee demon in my head telling me to buy used engine, strip and rebuild top spec over the next year or so then drop it in, meantime do the same with gearbox, get an old ones rebuild with a diff, slowly gather parts like lightweight clutch etc but where does it stop?? Could go buy a lotus for serious kicks!

Yep R3 manifold, it's not cheap. It has much longer primaries and as a result wont mate up to the system in the standard location. I'm therefore cutting the supersprint centre back and installing a sports cat as the R3 ditches the pre-cat (I might also have a decat option too but would require a couple of maps hence looking at RStuner).This will then be coupled to my suspersprint backbox. Supersprint is also not flipping cheap! Whole setup wont see much change from 2k. But the alternative was buying a BRZ so I consider this cheap (gotta love man maths!!) lol
Early next year will then see cams and the R3 mani will also allow me to open out the head too, so I'm hoping for some decent power. Later R3's ran 250ps on standard inlet manifold so I'm hoping I wont need to swap to bodies, looking for 230bhp as I am not planning on such aggresive cams or forged pistons.
The exhaust weighs so much lighter than stock and also I'll get the rigid Recaro's installed so hoping to get down to 1200kg flat assuming standard fig of 1240kg. Should be good for 190+/tonne is my minimum target. If I went forged pistons and slightly more manly cams I might get up to 200/tonne, so might do it, we'll see.