One for future reference- Steering issues 197 / 200

Hi everyone!
Is there any easy method to tell if your steering rack is faulty, how they can diagnose it in renault dealer / workshop?

Well i've bit the bullet and ordered the new bush i posted above from track focus direct along with new genuine renault track rods and trw track rod ends, i'll be giving this a go over the next couple of weeks when i get time hopefully it will cure the play in the rack and knocking.

All my strange knockin sounds gone away with new track rods + steering knuckle joint was misaligned. Now it is spot on, no any clonks.

New bush fitted and i have to say it appears to have done the trick no more knocking and the steering feel now feels alot tighter.

Reactions: Foxspeed
Quick update on this issue
I have a 13 plate 200 and over the last week have experienced the exact same issues( knock vagueness ect)
I had a new steering wheel fitted last September so thought it mite be something to do with this.
(But sort of felt as its the exact same issues like everyone one else it was probably Gona be the rack or they would never find the problem)
The steering wheel nut had indeed worked loose so it was tightened and look threaded.
Issue now fixed
Not saying others will be as lucky as me and it's just a nut but maybe a starting point if you have the issues.
Potentially lots would of have had a new steering wheel fitted as they don't seem to last long

Matt

Reactions: sevenfourate
My 200 appears to be suffering from this exactly as described in the OP post.

Is it really £6/700 to sort?! :coldsweat:

Since getting the 200 i've felt it doesn't handle as well as my 182 and i'm guessing this is why.

My 200 appears to be suffering from this exactly as described in the OP post.

Is it really £6/700 to sort?! :coldsweat:

Since getting the 200 i've felt it doesn't handle as well as my 182 and i'm guessing this is why.

I just want to say be sure that you dont have any play in inner/outer track rods.
My car had some strange clicking and knocking, and right side out & inner track rod had play. New parts and tracking problem sorted. Worth to check first.

I almost lost my sleep, that i have bad steering rack. But in fact fault was in steering axle knuckle joint was misaligned + track rods (in/out) right side was faulty.
After sorted those, never any problems or sounds.

I’ve had the infamous clonk that you can feel/hear intermittently through the steering when stationary/at parking speeds for a while, it only occasionally happened at <30mph over undulating corners and never during spirited driving so let it be until it started happening more often recently.

I tightened the UJ bolt and it still clonked when parking but the steering felt a bit more responsive. A few days later tried turning the steering and feeling the intermediate shaft with my other hand and the knock felt to be coming from the UJ. With the engine off the UJ could rock by hand to recreate the noise. It seemed to either be the UJ or the input shaft on the rack, as they both moved together in sync with the noise.

This morning I removed the bolt and rocking the UJ made a tapping noise against the input shaft, much moreso when the UJ was slid higher up the shaft, so slid the UJ to the bottom of the rack's input shaft (slides easily), installed a fresh nut/bolt and it's much better. I can no longer rock the UJ with my hand and make it clonk and it never clonks when moving. The only time I can get it to clonk now is when stationary, turning left then quickly turning right (vice-versa) and having a feel it's the UJ.

When installing a new nut & bolt, the nut slots into the back of the UJ and has to be held in place with one hand while tightening the bolt bit by bit with the other. Some may have an encased nut on the UJ but a new one is just a nut. A couple of extensions on the ratchet helps to remove/install the bolt with enough clearance of the pedals.

Nut: 7701052817
Bolt: 7703602246

TLDR – Steering clonk @ low speeds improved by removing nut/bolt (13mm) from UJ in drivers footwell, sliding UJ as far down steering rack input shaft as possible and fitting new nut/bolt.

Last edited:

Thought I'd post this here too, sounds louder on camera than in person. Cant really hear outside the car. Any ideas?

Thought I'd post this here too, sounds louder on camera than in person. Cant really hear outside the car. Any ideas?

Check your universal joint its down by the pedals tge boot has a havit of coming loose or the joint could just be knackered.

Check your universal joint its down by the pedals tge boot has a havit of coming loose or the joint could just be knackered.
The sound does sound in that area. There isnt a boot over the joint, its just a bear joint on my car. Is that right?

Yea its a joint the first one coming up from the carpet its hard to get in to work on and see at the same time possibly removing the drivers seat (4 x torx40 bolts) and disconnect the seat loom behind the small panel on the side of the seat base under the height lever will give better access.

Last edited:
Reactions: av4625