Oil question

Here is their response:

Thanks for your email.

As stated in my email and yours the oil used will have no affect on driving performance or cause any damage to the engine.

In the Renault ELF guide to looking after your engine it states that Competition ST 10W- 40 can be used in all petrol engines for Renault vehicles.

Also in my previous email I suggested that you contacted *our Service Manager, as you were "not filled with confidence", to arrange the oil to be changed. I believe from * , as of now you have not contacted him.
His direct line is * and he will arrange to book your vehicle in and change the oil.

There you have it! Feel free to use 10w40! NOT. Obvusly they put 5w40 in the manual for a laugh.

I will never touch or step foot into RENUALT ORPINGTON again.

a little story over oil -

when i was foreman at one of our workshops in doncaster one of the technicians bought a mondeo

he did the usual and did a service on it - then shortly after it started stalling when cold - would just cut out at junctions or the revs would die - he checked a lot of engine parts and sensors - nothing found - the local ford parts rep came in so i asked him about any running issues he reply was "what grade of oil did he put in it make sure its the correct grade"
so he checked it and had put in the "wrong" grade - so he drained it and put in the specific ford spec oil....and the stalling issues went away - he even said it seemed better on fuel

you could put a 20w50 in and it "wouldnt do any harm"....doesnt mean its right for it!

i know there isnt a massive difference in a 10w or a 5w but when the temperatures drop it can make a difference - not only that the oil they used is only the bog standard oil...

when i was foreman at one of our workshops in doncaster one of the technicians bought a mondeo

he did the usual and did a service on it - then shortly after it started stalling when cold - would just cut out at junctions or the revs would die - he checked a lot of engine parts and sensors - nothing found - the local ford parts rep came in so i asked him about any running issues he reply was "what grade of oil did he put in it make sure its the correct grade"
so he checked it and had put in the "wrong" grade - so he drained it and put in the specific ford spec oil....and the stalling issues went away - he even said it seemed better on fuel

you could put a 20w50 in and it "wouldnt do any harm"....doesnt mean its right for it!

i know there isnt a massive difference in a 10w or a 5w but when the temperatures drop it can make a difference - not only that the oil they used is only the bog standard oil...

Iv herd of one like this before with a old ford that would not run, mechanic made a bet with the guy after he asked him when he last serviced the car, "never" but the guy said no way it could be the oil, bet was made and right enough oil and filter later and the old girl ran like a dream.

I am either going to carry out the oil service myself or go somewhere to-do it.

Only think i do know, it will not be the Orpington branch.