Oil on undertray.

One of my next jobs is to sort an oil leak, I notice when I have been for a in there is oil on the underside of my undertray, there does seem to be a weep where the square hole is in the tray, could this be a gearbox leak? Has anyone experienced the same issue?

Thanks in advance..

engine oil leak maybe..from top of the manifold??i had that from the bolts around spark plugs..

One of my next jobs is to sort an oil leak, I notice when I have been for a in there is oil on the underside of my undertray, there does seem to be a weep where the square hole is in the tray, could this be a gearbox leak? Has anyone experienced the same issue?

Thanks in advance..
Haha lick the oil. You will no if gearbox oil !!!

Hard to guess mate. You will have to get under it and see. I would clean it up and check it in few days as you would have a better chance of tracing where it's coming from.

engine oil leak maybe..from top of the manifold??i had that from the bolts around spark plugs..

Definitely not from there, I sorted this issue last week, removed the bolts and put some sealant under the bolt heads, top of the eminent is spotless now!

Where abouts on the under tray is it? Does it lie under the gearbox?

Yes, when I bought the car I did an oil change and noticed a lot of grease/oil/crap on the under tray, cleaned it all off and check every time I go for a run, sometimes there is evidence of oil on the back "lip" of the tray and other days there is nothing? I had a small weep on one of the rocker covers on the bmw but when the engine warmed up it sealed itself and stopped, I suspect the same is happening with a seal on the Clio?

all you can do is take the try off and clean all the underside and then run it and check it

it could be rear main oil seal (very likely) or gearbox front seal or even clutch release bearing (hydraulic fluid)

Just a thought - could it be clutch fluid ? We had a slave cylinder leak and it obviously ended up on the tray. Check the bellhousing to block at the bottom, there is a small rectangular aperture. Also keep an eye on the level in the master cylinder.

Thanks for the replies, bear with me on this one, the oil is weeping from the area just above the undertray rectangular opening, is that the gearbox there? (Only just delving into cars mechanically!)

Just a thought - could it be clutch fluid ? We had a slave cylinder leak and it obviously ended up on the tray. Check the bellhousing to block at the bottom, there is a small rectangular aperture. Also keep an eye on the level in the master cylinder.

Just had the car up on the ramp, the oil is coming from the small rectangular aperture? Does that mean its clutch fluid?

Just had the car up on the ramp, the oil is coming from the small rectangular aperture? Does that mean its clutch fluid?

It was clutch fluid in our case, I guess it could still be engine oil (via rear crank seal) or gear box oil (through shaft seal)

Try using a cotton bud to collect some - is it dark / clear / does it smell like gearbox oil / is it thick or thin and runny ?

Ok this one is puzzling me, just took her out for a run, checked underneath and no oil on undertray but some by the little rectangular hole, the oil has no smell to it and has hardly any colour to it. It is definitely not the same feel as the brake/clutch fluid and does not seem as brown as the engine oil, could gearbox oil leak from this position?