Oil leaking.

Hey guys, just had a quick look under the bonnet to check fluids etc before a long drive tomorrow and noticed this

aby5u9er.jpg

Seems to be oil coming from around one of the spark plugs/ignition coils.

Any ideas why or even if its gonna cause any issues?

Cheers all.

Ash

Very common leak. Many threads on here about it. Clean it up remove and clean the bolt. Put some engine sealant under the bolt head and refit. Won't leak again

covered under warranty, if it doesn't seal they usually replace everything and do a free cambet change at the same time, which is nice.

common fault - and as said just clean up and a spot of sealer under the head will stop it

only repaired IF under warranty - for the sake of 1 bolt leaking is overkill :tongueout:anic:

Unfortunately she's well outside the warranty but its no big drama, ill get it cleaned up tomorrow hopefully.
Would have been nice if it was under warranty though, had the Cambelt changed last week lol.

Mine was done under warranty as the leak was much more severe.

The rocker gasket is a sealant I believe, in my case I was getting oil flooding into cylinders 3 & 4.

Noticed it because the oil level indicator on start up started dropping radically fast..

Since found its a 10mm. Are there any guides on here for removing the bolts and sealing up? Not really got much experience in DIY motoring

Since found its a 10mm. Are there any guides on here for removing the bolts and sealing up? Not really got much experience in DIY motoring

remove bolt - wipe clean/dry - small smear of rtv/silicone sealer - refit bolt and nip up

Is that it? Really thought I'd be removing rocker cover completely. Thanks!

only if you want to change the cam belt as well!

its usually just the 1 maybe 2 bolts that seep oil out - just remember they are 10mm bolts so don't go over tightening them

Oil leak coil number one

only if you want to change the cam belt as well!

its usually just the 1 maybe 2 bolts that seep oil out - just remember they are 10mm bolts so don't go over tightening them

hi mate today Iv noticed an oil leak around cool number one identical to the picture earlier in the thread. If I remove the bolt and put some sealant on any ideas the best sealent to use? And do I put it around the threads or just a dab at the bottom of bolt? Cheers

hi mate today Iv noticed an oil leak around cool number one identical to the picture earlier in the thread. If I remove the bolt and put some sealant on any ideas the best sealent to use? And do I put it around the threads or just a dab at the bottom of bolt? Cheers

I used this silicone sealant from Halfords http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pa...xhaust-repairs/loctite-si-5980-flange-sealant

After you've wiped off the oil, apply the sealant under the bolt head, so that when you replace the bolt, it creates the 'seal'.

Last edited:
Cheers for the reply and link. I have a warranty with the garage I bought the car from which covers pretty much everything except oil leaks haha typical. Will pick some sealent up in the morning and sort it. :smile: