Odd noise from rear tyres?

Morty197

Clean all the things
Platinum Member
Hi Guys,

I have been hearing a strange vibrating rotation sound coming from the rear of the car around 70MPH. I hope it's just that the rear tyres are low and have been on the car a while. I was wondering if anyone had heard anything similar with low rears? Or if anyone would know what it might be by this pretty pants description.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like it could be wheel bearing to me, hard to work it out from your description though.

How many miles has your car done and has it ever had new rear discs?

Directional tyre on wrong way? Buckled wheel? Wheel weights come off un-balanced wheel?

If you've had new tyres recently then I'd go with a weights issue, otherwise get your bearings checked asap. You dint want to lose the back end at 70 fella.

Sounds like it could be wheel bearing to me, hard to work it out from your description though.

How many miles has your car done and has it ever had new rear discs?

I think it may be the bearings now you mention it. I thought it may be due to the rears been on for a while. I got the car upp on the weekend to check the diffuser/heat shield make sure it was on and all the weights. All looked spot on.

The car has done 33k miles and I know it is on the same rears. The did look pretty low...may be a excuse to uprate the lot! :clap:

Directional tyre on wrong way? Buckled wheel? Wheel weights come off un-balanced wheel?

I had a cheeky check of all this and it all looked fine, that's why I started getting worried...bearing seems like a good start.

If you've had new tyres recently then I'd go with a weights issue, otherwise get your bearings checked asap. You dint want to lose the back end at 70 fella.

Got a new set of tyres and gunna get bearings too, see if that helps.

Thanks for the help guys :thumbup:

if its a rear bearing you will hear it when you spin the wheels when its up in the air - have you checked the tyres to make sure they are still "round" - they can start to go out of shape if they are old or been on for a long time and the tread has got low

another possibilty could be a faulty rear damper causing the wheel to bounce over bumps in the road - do a corner bounce test - push down on the corner and make sure it doesnt bounce up and down

Cheers for the info guys.

I have had a look at the rear tyres and they seem to be more worn on the instep than the outside. Does anyone think this would cause it? The noise is louder when i have people in the back seat...this makes me think its bearings?

if the bearings are that worn and noisey you will hear it if you spin the wheels

if the bearings are that worn and noisey you will hear it if you spin the wheels

It seems as though the rear pads are too tight to the disk for me to spin the wheel properly. Should I remove, clean and refit the pads?

Sorry I'm rubbish with this.:eek:

If you can't spin the wheel with the car in the air and the handbrake off then the brakes need stripping properly and refitting. I'd get a garage to have a look if I were you mate, if you're not too familiar with things, especially when it comes to brakes.

It seems as though the rear pads are too tight to the disk for me to spin the wheel properly. Should I remove, clean and refit the pads?

Sorry I'm rubbish with this.:eek:

could be your noise at the rear if the brakes are binding :001_unsure: