Some odd noises !!

Bodyboarder81

Paid Member
Hi all .... just wondering if anyone can shed some light on some very odd noises I’m getting .

First one is a very slight knock from the front when pulling away sometimes . I can feel it through the steering wheel . Jacked the car up and doesn’t seem to be any play at all in the wheel front wheels ... once above walking pace never hear anything .

Second one is very strange ...

When pulling away I can hear a sort of groan / creak from the rear . Once on the move don’t hear a thing . It also does it in reverse and becomes worse if I reversed and steer at the same time .. all at walking pace . I’ve had the boot open to see if it’s the latch but still the noise is there .

Any help much appreciated:smile:

Top front struts .. as in top mounts ?

Also jacked the rear up and rear brakes aren’t binding at all .

Not the exhaust or heat shield ... not that sort of noise . I did stick a cloth in between the rear diffuser and heat shield to rule that out .

The rear noise is there when only fully away and a snails pace , as in using no throttle

Thanks for the input , appreciate it

Yea top mounts open door stand on the sill bounce your weight up and down to really rock the car if you hear creaking from that area is one way, but lift the scuttle cover and check you can clean the scuttle drains at the same time. Only other area to check is springs broken very, very hard to spot on the front and very common problem measure the coil spacings but the lower tails can be broken digging into the cup.

Reactions: Bodyboarder81
Another way to check the top mounts is to jack it up with the scuttle panel off and literally lift the wheel by hand to simulate suspension travel. I did the same and found out my top mounts were split. Though with yours being such low mileage I can't see why it would be those! Also worth checking the torque mount to see if there's any play in there, I've seen similar things that people have said when pulling away.

Mine also does the rear creak though. No idea what it is

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Well I’ve ordered some new front top mounts ... even if it’s not that it gave me the excuse to buy them :tearsofjoy:

I also noticed that ‘rated ‘ car did the weird noise from the rear . I presumed it was something to do with being polybushed . But obviously not

Reactions: lewishunter98
Oh dear Haha! It'd be worth changing them with the springs anyway in my opinion.

Yeah. It is very strange, it could be a Clio thing hahaha

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

My 172 had 200,000 miles the rear bushes had cracked when at parking speed you could hear a dry creak from the rear I went to change them the inner had separated from the outer. Yours has low miles so if it's poly bushed at the back there is a chance since it's been washed within an inch of it's life the poly bush or genuine bush might be dry white lithium grease jacking the car up you might have a chance to hear it as the rear axel swings. Other stupid things to check are the rear seat and tool kit in the boot not hearing the noise I just have to suggest it.

Mine isn’t polybushed but ‘rated’ Clio is and made the same noise as mine . Presumed his noise was due to the harder bushes but then hearing it on mine ...which to my knowledge is standard .

Similar Thread Suggestions