Numberplates / Showplates

i thought I've seen someone on here with a slightly smaller front plate so I did a bit of a mock up for a size ref. 16 x 4.5 / 20.5 x 4.5

2m3o7kz.jpg

The font is a 'German' style & I thought silver on black would look good on my Nimbus?

Thing is though - How much of a wrist slap do you think Id get off the boys in blue?

no way would you get away with driving around with them on.
you would deffinately get points.

You would def get stopped but it isn't an endorsable offense, you would only get fined and 7 days to change them.

I'd keep some lube in your door card mate. As the old bill is gonna rape you with those I'd reckon. They look good though lol

what about pressed plates in the uk? are they legal??

Yes and no. :001_huh:

If the font is the standard UK font and the spacing is correct and the plate carries the makers postcode as well as the BS number then it SHOULD be legal. But, if you were to put the F bar on the side of it for example to make it look French then this would make it illegal, or frowned upon at the very least. It's a real grey area and it seems to be at the discretion of the indiviudal Police officer.

I've also heard the argument that all UK plates must be made of arylic/plastic and nothing else.

yes ive heard about the plastice plate issue too,

seems like its a complicating issue to resolve,

i really like the look of pressed plates

I've had them before on my old 205 GTi, they looked mint they really did...

20070930-08.jpg

I got asked to change these becuase of the font (French) despite them having the makers postcode and everything else in order. The officer had a problem with them being aluminium too, especially the front one as apparently it could ''cut somebody in half''... Despite being about an inch off the floor as you can see in the photo, not sure why anybody would be down there to get cut in half in the first place but anyhoo.

I had to return to the station within a week with some ''proper'' plates on, which I just velcro'd over the pressed ones.

And then I took them off and stuck them in the boot after I'd been to the station. :thumbup:

haha winner!! yes they do look the business mate

the cutting people in half business i think was to coincide with the old style hood ornaments

Pressed plates are a real grey area. Mine are from Elite Car Care and have BS, postcode, correct font and spacing and are reflective. They passed the MOT but the tester said something about the regs are changing again to stop plates with the characters being in relief so for next years test I'm sticking the dealer plates over the top until I get my ticket for the year!

I have a set of French style pressed aluminium plates. I ran them for about a year before changing them for going to Germany as I didn't fancy trying to explain that to a foreign cop!

It is strange, but I think as long as they're the right colours, the font and spacing is right, police aren't going to be too bothered with stopping you. I think if you look it up, its says they should be made of plastic.