Now it gets serious....(update)

Tbh it would be a really cool car if this was carried out. I like everything else youve done Litch so i would say go for it, you only live once.

Cheers.....

Like most things with the clio I've learn't "be patient" and consider your options carefully.
We now know the R26 transplant is do'able. The plan though is to keep it cheap. I have spoken with my friend who's garage has a done many feature cars in Performance Ford. They have agreed to fit it. Electrical work is sorted by friend who's done lots of work for Jamsport. I'm going for a stage 2 and clutch upgrade. The aim is for a reliable 270 bhp.

Half the fun is finding the parts. If everything goes to plan, and I'm patient hoping to do the lot for less than 3k including parts.

Last edited:
Cheers.....

Like most things with the clio I've learn't "be patient" and consider your options carefully.
We now know the R26 transplant is do'able. The plan though is to keep it cheap. I have spoken with my friend who's garage has a done many feature cars in Performance Ford. They have agreed to fit it. Electrical work is sorted by friend who's done lots of work for Jamsport. I'm going for a stage 2 and clutch upgrade. The aim is for a reliable 270 bhp.

Half the fun is finding the parts. If everything goes to plan, and I'm patient hoping to do the lot for less than 3k including parts.

My friend when he had his R26 was running stage 2 bits fitted and mapped at TDF. His was reliable and running 270bhp with 350ftlbs.

And yes it was savage!

Only prob with stage 2'd r26 is you lose the character of the car! The figures of 270bhp and 350lbft mean twice as much torque at peak than redline which is very diesel like!

Better would be a bigger turbo keep the torque down a bit to say 300 and power to 330(ish) and you should retain more of the revvyness.

No doubt at all that stage 2 maped r26's are fast but the torque curve is horrid.

Only prob with stage 2'd r26 is you lose the character of the car! The figures of 270bhp and 350lbft mean twice as much torque at peak than redline which is very diesel like!

Better would be a bigger turbo keep the torque down a bit to say 300 and power to 330(ish) and you should retain more of the revvyness.

No doubt at all that stage 2 maped r26's are fast but the torque curve is horrid.

Would very much depend on how you intend to use the car. People talk about the Clio on the twisties but I want better 'off the line' acceleration. Might be a little 'chest hair' and If we are honest, there is nothing better than the occasional grand prix traffic light race….and after all, I have the Clio’s honour to defend and would be great to give some Astra VXR’s, Golfs R32, Megs and others a few nose bleeds……270bhp will go a long way in achieving this.

Would very much depend on how you intend to use the car. People talk about the Clio on the twisties but I want better 'off the line' acceleration. Might be a little 'chest hair' and If we are honest, there is nothing better than the occasional grand prix traffic light race….and after all, I have the Clio’s honour to defend and would be great to give some Astra VXR’s, Golfs R32, Megs and others a few nose bleeds……270bhp will go a long way in achieving this.

Well it will be fast, no doubt about that but Im just saying personally i would not make my clio feel like (a very fast) diesel.

Id go for a bigger turbo have less torque and more power

I actually was the first megane customer that Tdf stage 2 mapped 8)
Matt is a top bloke.
Anyways..go for it Litchy.. might as well get the 330mm pf brake upgrade too to cope! 8)

Update....

Think I've have found a engine, gearbox and all the running gear. Although gonna buy it I think, want to get the parts ready before fitting it next year....

Last edited:
you will need the engine loom too.

i am going to use my 200 box (hopefully), so much shorter gear ratio's compared to the Megane box.

There are a few complete engines on ebay most of the time, so its not hard to get hold of the parts.

you will need the engine loom too.

i am going to use my 200 box (hopefully), so much shorter gear ratio's compared to the Megane box.

There are a few complete engines on ebay most of the time, so its not hard to get hold of the parts.

Either loom will be modified to fit, but always best to have a spare, and for ease, a megane ecu, as for the 200 gear box, it's very undecided weather or not it can take almost double the ammount of torque

I say the loom, as thats what Paul @ RST recommended to me. And yeah, along with ECU. I even got the key with my setup.

I guess time will tell once its done if the clio box can survive. To be fair, I have never broken a gearbox in my life, but there is always a first time!! haha