Noise from rear

Hi all!

I have noticed a tap noise from rear ( maybe from undertray section ), it happens when going over bumps or even very small potholes, anything that causes the car to go up and down slightly.

I must say it is not a clonk/thud type noise, more of a TAP.

Anyone had same?

In my old 1.2 Clio I used to have a slight squeak sound coming from the front while going over small bumps/potholes, and put up with it for ages thinking it was nothing major, had a look and it was due to a snapped spring on the drivers side! You'd have thought it'd be a more obvious sound but it wasn't, and the handling didn't seem effected at all (maybe because it was a 1.2 and not really being driven hard!)

I doubt it will be, be much more obvious in a 197/200 in terms of handling and sound! I say it was snapped... There was a crack in it leading to being fully snapped, obviously took a speed bump too hard! Be worth getting under and checking the under tray, or potentially the boot latch?! I've had a problem with the boot latch being ever slightly loose!

Take the parcel shelf out and lower the back seats, may help you identify the noise easier!

Maybe this thread is useful?!

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?42044-Knocking-rattle-in-boot-lid&

Last edited:
could be anything from damaged shocks to loosen difuser..it could also be your exhaust knocking against the rear axle..

I'd be checking exhaust mounts as a first point of call. Rear diffuser is simple to remove also and there could be a stone lodged in there.

Its not inside is it? Check your passenger belt, had mine rest in a funny position and make a similar noise over bumps.

Booked in with twotechs ( well it will be when I ring them in the morning ).

need some new OEM front brakes anyway.

i just hope it is as simple as an exhaust mount :smile:

will keep you you guys posted!

Good luck with the repair, mine does have a knock from the rear as well, need to get it checked as well, please share when fixed :smile:

I can chime in and say my Clio III has a sound from the back too.
I thought there was something loose in the boot or boot lid itself but actually narrowed it down to the boot latch. I have a theory. The way it is designed each time it is closed the centre of the catch gets slightly compressed by the little bar its latching onto, once this gap becomes large enough there is no longer a tight hold onto the bar and there is movement from the catch even while closed..resulting in some very uncharacteristic noises. Mine happen mostly at slow speeds, especially on uneven driveways, etc.

The solution is to adjust the bottom latch bar lower to compensate...there are some larger than usual torx screws involved here.
Or buy a new latch...but it will probably also compress over time.

Last edited:
Had he same issue with mine. I searched on here and found that if you wrap the bar with a bit of insulation tape it goes. :smile: