Loud clunk noise coming from rear...

Barney626

Winner - POTM December 2017
So as I fix one thing, two more things break on this car...

Yesterday started getting random 'clunks' from the rear of the car somewhere. Happened 3 times so far.

Not sure what triggers it. Seems to happen when I'm putting any kind of load through acceleration on the car.

Video below shows what it sounds like:

Any ideas what this could be?

Doubt it's wheel bearings as these are brand new pagid discs, only a few weeks old...

(Squeaky steering wheel in first clip is most likely just my steering wheel rubbing)

Last edited:
First things to check would be the rear springs, to make sure they're not broken, and also take the diffuser off to check for the exhaust isn't hitting on anything.

Reactions: Barney626
So had a look at rear springs, couldn't see any damage and they looks like they are in the right place.

Definitely something rattling at the rear of the car when I go over big bumps. Sounds like loose exhaust/heatshield.

Saying that, the clunks in the video were so loud I'm not sure how a loose heat shield could make that noise?

A friend suggested that my cats could be dying and it's just exhaust pops, but doesn't sound like exhaust pops to me?

Will be able to get the diffuser off on Saturday so will have a look then.

It's definitely not exhaust pops. More likely the exhaust hitting on the rear beam.

rear boot catch adjustment???????

Easy way to test if that's the issue?

Again, doesn't really come across in the video but the noise was seriously loud. I could feel the 'impact' of it in my chest...

Makes me think it's something under load suddenly slipping off. Springs are the obvious thing but they look fine :think:

Easy way to test if that's the issue?

Again, doesn't really come across in the video but the noise was seriously loud. I could feel the 'impact' of it in my chest...

Makes me think it's something under load suddenly slipping off. Springs are the obvious thing but they look fine :think:

drop seats get someone to sit in back and feel/hear if the hatch is making the noise

Will try that but 90% sure the rattle is from a loose heat shield in the diffuser.

But the source of the clunk in the video is still a mystery...

So done some work on the car the past two days.

My best guess is the large bang was a bolt snapping which held the middle exhaust hanger on. New bolt through the hanger and rattle has stopped, haven't heard the clunk since.

Fingers crossed that was it...