No more power for the Mk4 RS

Think this will be a good move. Sounds like they are really gonna hone in on what the Clio does best! I'm very excited to see what it's like!

They could make it do 175 mph but you can only do 70 mph on our roads.Just hope it has a bit better build quality and stuff as standard rather the optional extras

Wonder how it’s going to be lighter what with the 4 doors and all the other bits that get added. Shame though, I would have liked to see it at least get past the 200bhp mark to say 210 but if they can improve the power to weight ratio then it should still be a very rapid car.

Interesting! No new engine then..reading the article gives that impression anyway!
Mazda shifted 100kgs from its revamped small hatch...wonder how much Renaultsport could manage?

It will be more easily tuneable if it's a turbo though so 220+ shouldnt be much of a problem with an exhaust, different induction and a remap of some sort.

I'm sure it will be a good car but it seems the gap between the Clio RS and the Megane RS is getting wider all the time. The megane has just been treated to a 15bhp power increase yet the Clio had to make do with 3bhp when it had a facelift. granted one is N/A and one is a turbo it just seems a bit of a cop out to say no more increase in power tbh....

Remap, whack the boost up and an intercooler upgrade an all will be well.

All the tuning companies will be on it in a flash.

Not for me....Renault with its smoke n' mirrors. Lighter...it won't be light enough given Renaults compromise on turning the clio into something its not. Renault continue to ensure the clio falls sort. Long ago, the Pug 205GTI went the same way and it never recovered. The sad thing is the clio was almost there.....If Renault made a mini Meg 250 taking some of the styling tips, 220 turbo power, it would have been onto a winner.

Last edited:
If they manage to remove the 150-200kg (IMHO, impossible without the use of special materials that cost too much and affect the price of the car) from the new Clio, and the power remains the same (real <190bhp) it would be an interesting race car.

However, this Clio IV needs to be on the market for the next 5-6 years and with the 197bhp (yeah right :wink:) it will be very difficult to cope with the best in the segment.

We already have barely more power than the Clio 182 that has >200kg less than the Clio 197/200 (~1090kg vs ~1300kg).

I was watching a video from Auto Express at the Genieva motor show talking about the new Fiesta ST. Apparently Ford have been using the 200 as a benchmark to beat around a track. That car only has 178 bhp, so if they can manage to be faster than a Clio 200 (or even a 190!) then surely Renault can do a similar thing.

Im confused by the article. It says the Mk4 will use the "very same 197bhp engine" but im pretty sure Jeremy and others on RUKs forum have confirmed the next Clio will have a 1.6T lump and the 200 is the last of the NA? :001_huh:

Im confused by the article. It says the Mk4 will use the "very same 197bhp engine" but im pretty sure Jeremy and others on RUKs forum have confirmed the next Clio will have a 1.6T lump and the 200 is the last of the NA? :001_huh:

You added the word engine thats why :wink:

I quote directly from the site
which has already been signed-off – has the very same 197bhp as the current car, but weighs less.

Nothing about having the same engine just the same power.

looks light weight reduction is the way everyone is going. New Pug 208 is 100kg lighter than the 207. Allowing them to use a smaller engine which weights less again to keep stats almost the same, AND REDUCES EMISSIONS. Which is what this whole country is blinded by.

looks light weight reduction is the way everyone is going. New Pug 208 is 100kg lighter than the 207. Allowing them to use a smaller engine which weights less again to keep stats almost the same, AND REDUCES EMISSIONS. Which is what this whole country is blinded by.

And this a bad thing? It not just emissions. Lighter cars come with improved acceleration and braking performance, stress components less, change direction faster and pay less road tax. It's win, win in my eyes.

I was watching a video from Auto Express at the Genieva motor show talking about the new Fiesta ST. Apparently Ford have been using the 200 as a benchmark to beat around a track. That car only has 178 bhp, so if they can manage to be faster than a Clio 200 (or even a 190!) then surely Renault can do a similar thing.

fiesta is quite light as it shares the mazda 2 platform so the st will only be about 1100kg....162hp/tonne vs 200 = 161hp/tonne:innocent:

Providing it handles as well or better and comes as a three door (eventually) I wouldn't mind if it is the same power. If not it would be a 265 for me... :smile:

Providing it handles as well or better and comes as a three door (eventually) I wouldn't mind if it is the same power. If not it would be a 265 for me... :smile:

I think it's allready been said, no three door.