Newbie from Essex

Hi guys, I'm Josh and I'm from Essex.

I'm currently looking at buying a 197 and looking for some advice.

I'm ideally looking for fully loaded (as much as possible), with at least the following:

- Post-2008 as I want the improved gear ratios as I use the dual-carriageway daily to work and can't be dealing with 4k at 70..

- Cup chassis - essential for me, coming from a Focus RS with coilovers, I need the best handling possible

- Recaros - I need some decent seats and something that'll hold me in place when pushing the car on track

- Sub-50k mileage - I want the car with mileage as low as possible really, but will look at cars with up to 50k.

That's about it for essentials to be honest.

Now, I've got my eye on a few cars, but is there anything in particular that I should keep my eye out for?

Also, how comfortable are the Recaros on long journeys? Obviously they won't be as comfy as regular seats, but I'd like SOME comfort..

Also, how do I know if a car has the Cup chassis rather than just red painted calipers, as I've seen a couple of 197s that have the red calipers, but no mention of any cup chassis and I'm not convinced..

Thanks

Josh

Kneller hi their are cars on site for sale but you need to join the site as for recaros I did 503 miles 4 Sundays a go no probs that's a 200 with cup pack

my 197 is an 07 and at 70 its at 3 or 3.5k still seems too loud for 70mph like it needs a new gear what do the 200s have at 70?

my 197 is an 07 and at 70 its at 3 or 3.5k still seems too loud for 70mph like it needs a new gear what do the 200s have at 70?

Theres little difference between the later 197s and 200s at motorway speeds, its the early 197s you'll want to avoid. Darren your car may well have an pre revised box.

Recaros aren't bad on long journeys, but they still can get a little uncomfy depending on what your used to.

Cups have basic dashboard and a steering wheel with no red band. Standard key entry and no exterior temp gauge. Air con was also an option so any missing AC is a boniefied Cup.

Identifying a 'cupped' 197 is a little more difficult. They do sit a little lower than normal but not always obvious. The calipers are red so look for a good quality finish with properly placed brembo stickers. If the pads have been removed and they had trouble with pins it could have been smacked about and even placed in a vice so don't let a few battle scars throw you off :smile:

I done 100 miles in my recaros today and they're good as gold :smile:

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the warm welcomes! I'll hopefully be in a Clio in the next few weeks, I've contacted a couple of people that have them for sale, so hoping I'll be able to get myself a nice one :smile:

:welcome: to the site.

I spent around 9 hours in recaros going over to the ring in august and found them really comfortable.

I'd recomend them.

:welcome: to the site.

I spent around 9 hours in recaros going over to the ring in august and found them really comfortable.

I'd recomend them.

Good to hear! They're the main option that I need to have. The cup chassis I can make do without as I'd just fit a set of coilovers if need be..

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O New Members 3
D New Members 24
K New Members 25
D New Members 9
P New Members 9