newbie from Aberdeen.. with a vw...

mikeswagon

Paid Member
Hi all,

just a quick hello from sunny Aberdeen. It's not rained today, honestly.

The usual stuff, been lurking on here for a while now, signed up few days ago etc.

I drive a mk4 golf just now, but fancy a change, and a 200 is in the list (hence the reason for being on here) along with mk5 golfs, and think that's it. It's a pretty short list to be fair.;/

I'm in no great rush, which is just as well as they're not exactly a common sight on the forecourts up here. Had 1 test drive, but had my kids with me so took it easy.

I've read about the 200 being better than the 197 low down, is there much in it? Will I miss the turbo?????

Anyway I've been on loads of forums over the years, and I'm liking this one. Seems like a friendly bunch :thumbup:

Here's a few pics, if photobucket's playing the game:

Torry Battery for anyone that know's Aberdeen.

IMG_2660.jpg

And heading out the back of Hazlehead golf course.

IMG_2738.jpg

Cheers,

Mike.

:welcome:another Mike the name is so common on here.Nice Motor by the way

welcome to the site mike.

nice car. traded my 1.8t in for the 197.
presume you have the 1.8t.? the 197/200 is actually quicker and much more fun to drive unless the golf is remapped.
the 200 is a completely different drive to the 197 especially with cup pack.

Cheers guys.

Aye it's a 1.8t, mapped to around 190, so has a fair bit of go. I am a bit worried about losing the turbo, hence the mk5 golf option on the list.

It's a good motor the golf, but you know how it is, just fancying a change of scene, and it's 10yrs old now too.

Will have to try a 197 as well, just for comparison sake. Theres a LY F1 at an independant garage not too far from here, that's Sat morning sorted.

Mike.

Welcome to the club

You just have to remember these cars dont come alive til you get past 5k revs, then the real fun begins... just takes a bit of getting used to if youre coming from a turbo

liken mike :thumbup1:

am sure you will enjoy the clio more than the golf in terms of fun :thumbup:

there was someone on eastside selling a F1 not to long ago...

Cheers guys,

got to trust wirse words from someone called Mike:biggrin:

liken mike :thumbup1:

am sure you will enjoy the clio more than the golf in terms of fun :thumbup:

there was someone on eastside selling a F1 not to long ago...

fit like woodworm, I do recall one on eastside lately.... I thought that was maybe your other half;/

Does yours get used much? Seen one at newmachar, but I've not found them remotley useful in the past.

Cheers guys,

got to trust wirse words from someone called Mike:biggrin:

fit like woodworm, I do recall one on eastside lately.... I thought that was maybe your other half;/

Does yours get used much? Seen one at newmachar, but I've not found them remotley useful in the past.

No it's nae our one, we have just had ours for a couple of months and love it. The other half uses it as her daily but only every second week as her and her mate car share, and I use it at weekends.

Yer more than welcome to have a look over it if ye like mate.

Aye The other half was saying newmachar has a racing blue one in just now,

No it's nae our one, we have just had ours for a couple of months and love it. The other half uses it as her daily but only every second week as her and her mate car share, and I use it at weekends.

Yer more than welcome to have a look over it if ye like mate.

Aye The other half was saying newmachar has a racing blue one in just now,

Thanks mate, I might take you up on the offer, be good to see one that's being looked after.

Mike,

Think I've seen your Golf around town Mike, very tidy!

If it's any help alleviating your fears I traded in my remapped mk5 golf gti for the 197 I've got now and whilst the golf was undeniably a brilliant car and effortlessly quick the clio is a different type of weapon. When the engine is on cam it's just ballistic and the handling in another league. There are times when I do miss the golf, mostly when I'm covering long distances as it was such an accomplished cruiser, but on any b-road the clio rewards like little else in its class.

Granted it's not a 200 but again you are welcome to come look at my 197 anytime.

Cheers
Steve

Welcome to the site mate i'm from Peterhead and in Aberdeen quite a bit.. Never seen your golf but looks good for it's age!

I test drove a MK5 GTi not too long ago and didn't like it compared to my Clio (197 F1)..

My Clio is for sale, fire me a PM if you would be interested. :smile:

Last edited:
Thanks guys, good to hear feedback from someone that's gone from vw.

Liambo-201, I think we maybe saw your car a few weeks ago. Kids and me went up for the red arrows, and had a good nosey around a black 197, parked on one of the side roads up from the lido?

I'm just looking at what's around just now, few test drives etc. I start a new job next month so want to get all that out of the way first.

Mike.

How's this for a 'holy thread resurrection Batman?'... 10 years on, I'd clean forgotten about this.

So, back then, had moved out to Alford, the Golf was still running great, but fancied a change. Went in to MINI to look at a Cooper Clubbie, but the Salesman was a bit clueless. Fortunately the Saleswoman wasn't, and I ended up getting a test drive in what was the newly released F56 Cooper, and an order was placed.

Tommy (Cooper), great car, 1.5 3-pot, 50mpg all day long and plenty quick enough for the country roads. Nearly 5yrs and 90k miles later, Tommy was sold

IMG_4691.jpg

To be replaced by Syd, the JCW Clubbie. Took a chance on this one when it came up as a trade in, bought online and got it transported up from the midlands.

Glen Nevis PH.jpg

Thanks to Pistonheads and MINI for the above pic. Taken on our 3 Peaks road trip to promote the new 300bhp JCW Clubbie, and a picture of the 2 side by side prompted the comment Little and Large, hence the name Syd.

IMG_0428.jpg

Best car on a clubstand for that period at Fraserburgh.

This should have been a keeper, but after the insurance wanting > £1k to let my daughter learn in it, I made the grown up decision to sell, and I had eyed up a nice red 197 with low miles. Clubbie went on the Thursday, I went out on the beer on the Friday, went online to contact the garage on the Saturday and it was sold. Bugger! Incidentally it's back up on the Autotrader just now at £12k, trust me to sell it just before the pandemic.

I kept on looking, and in the meantime found a nice little Fiat 500 for my daughter to learn in. I used it now and then for work etc, and had access to my mums Fiat 500 as hitting the ripe old age of 90, she'd hung up the keys.

IMG_1921.jpg

Cracking wee thing this, Vintage 57, was the only one in Aberdeen at the time, few more now. Then my daughter went to Uni, and Covid happened, and she didn't get through her test. She decided to sell it, rather than sitting up here, and with the crazy 2nd hand prices, we got more for it than I'd paid 2yrs before.

And now we get to the reason I'm still rattling about in here. One day, out of the blue, this 200 Cup came up, another trade in down south. Deal was done, and after a few tense weeks when the haulier seemed to go awol, I finally became a Clio owner.

IMG_3655.JPG

Had it just over a year, hit 72k miles this week, and gets 34mpg, so a few less than the Golf - doh!

IMG_5075.JPG

And another club stand winner, this time at Buckie.

To answer my own question, I do miss the turbo at times, like on the daily commute in city traffic, but a quick blast on the country roads you soon forget all about that. I had a little play this afternoon, found a nice local bit of private road to check the revs at 70, a ba' hair over 3,250 and not the 3,500 I'd seen quoted earlier in the week.

We'll see what next year brings, maybe a cup spoiler and a refurb on the wheels to kick it off.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Paul_D New Members 3
Tuck New Members 35
JamieC New Members 12
KneeCaap New Members 9
RicheyRoo New Members 17