Newb

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and just thought I would say hi to everyone. My name is Ash, and I am an alcoholic....only joking I am 33 years old and have had my mid life crisis and bought a 197. Would have bought a bike like many others do but have been riding them for many years now, so would have been pointless.

owned my Clio for all of 3 days now and am loving it. Due to riding bikes, I have not owned a car since I was 21; so am a little 'out of the loop'...any advice on what these cars are prone to or little maintenance tips etc etc would be much appreciated.

the only thing I am not sure on at the min is when I first start her up, I leave her running for a couple of mins (maybe a habit from riding)...but if I give it some beans, she really struggles in first and second; after a couple of mins she is absolutely fine. Is this just a case of 'it's warming up' or could there be an underlying problem???

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Hi Ash, welcome to the forum, and good choice on the 197 :wink: They are fantastic cars and you won't be disappointed!

Check out the buyers guide http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?19788-Clio-197-buyers-guide there's loads of good stuff in there about any known 'issues' etc. But anything specific you need to know, then ask away - everyone is really helpful.

They do take a little time to warm through - you might find they struggle or even kangaroo a bit till they're warm, but it's normal. You do the right thing though in letting it idle for a bit :smile:

welcome..check the above thread...they do take some time to warm up before they give u a 100% of power..absolutely normal...have fun with ur new toy

Last edited:
Welcome mate.

As others have said, they are horrible when cold, but are fine after a few minutes. In that time not a good idea to drive them hard, but that goes with any cold engine :smile:

Hi, welcome to the forum. Yea they need a bit of time to get warm and dont like to rushed. (Like other things i know off). Make sure the belts have been done and the car serviced.

WOW...a forum with active members =)

That for the advice on the cold start thing...just nice to know it is 'normal' and not a sign of an underlying problem.
[MENTION=51574]cliovirgin[/MENTION]...I thought about a scoobie myself, but you see them everywhere so decided against it. Wanted something that you dont see all the time on the road...and just fell in love with the looks of the 197; it is sooooooo much fun to drive; which is a bonus haha

Welcome along. I purchased my Clio as a mid life crisis 4 years ago. They are fantastic cars out the box. Unfortunately it only made my crisis worse so I bought a Lotus :wink:

The Clio dies have a 'cold rev limiter' so to speak in that it'll cut in early until you are up to operating temperature. As mentioned they can kangaroo bit this can be solved by turning the traction control off for a few minutes until warm.

Last edited:

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O New Members 3
VeiRoNv2 Spotted 0
Paul_D Yorkshire 2
Paul_D New Members 3
lou tennant New Members 13