New Member - Do i get a clio 197?

Hi all,

im a new member here. Im thinking of getting a clio 197, im test driving one on friday. Im basically looking for a car that is fun,competitive to other hot hatches, and a great handling car. I did a bit of research and the 197 seems like a great car?

Hello!!! :smile:

In a word - Yes.

P!sses on anything else in its class, good reliability and decent build quality too. But, the MPG isn't the best so it depends how you feel about being raped at the pumps. They do everything well just as they are and are brilliant fun to drive. The 200 has had one or two little things ironed-out over the 197 and if you have the money then go for the newer car, but you won't go wrong with a 197.

Just wait till you drive it, instant smiles :smile:

Everyone on a 197/200 site will say 197 though :wink:

Last edited:
If you are after fun and decent handling, then yes, you are barking up the right tree. Very competitive, especially in the bends. Welcome to the site and good luck with your test drive.

P.S., if you find it difficult to drive when it's cold, don't worry, they are great once warmed up!

lol lol check noodie out trying to flog a 200 to the guy lol 197 all the way mate unless u like hideous front ends lol. got a feeling that statemenet might get a few funny responses

Track/blasting about; ~12MPG.

To-from work & short journeys; ~25MPG.

Extended motorway driving, 70MPH; ~35MPG, nearer to 40MPG if you drop the speed a bit.

ok thanks guy, pretty much what i was expecting then really. Will a remap improve the performance/fuel economy by much?

with a miltek cat back exhaust, sports cat, induction kit?

ok thanks guy, pretty much what i was expecting then really. Will a remap improve the performance/fuel economy by much?

with a miltek cat back exhaust, sports cat, induction kit?

It'll improve the drivability but wont give you any major power gains. The other mods will help also, you'd want to remap it after the other mods are fitted though.

the 197 im viewing is a 07 plate with 34k miles. Should the cambelt be changed?what should i look out for? how often do they need servicing?