New Dutch owner, with a German 197!

Hi everyone,

I'm Michiel, 26, from the Netherlands.

Me and the GF had been looking for a clio 197 for some time now; from the beginning of the year.
After flying to Milan and looking at this one (which is rubbish; damage all around, damaged wheels, interior not so well maintained, steering wheel offcenter (when driving straight) and not being allowed a proper testdrive) I decided to keep looking for a better offer.

Having found this car (advertised at 7200 euro) I made some calls and finally made arrangements to drive to Germany (Aschaffenburg) and see the car.

After arriving (at a Jaguar garage, full of XF-R's, F-type R's etc, which was nice) we got a coffee and was told to go get the car ourselves (in a good way).
Did a good walkaround, checked for rust etc (there is no) and took it for a drive.
Engine idles great, around 600rpm I think, and really smooth. None of the kangarooing I read about here.
Gearbox: been repaired, smooth.

No clunks or sounds from the suspension, just the 30 / 40mm lowered springs that are stiffer than normal. (I found out about the lowered suspension later, didn't see it somehow).

Back at the garage. Brake pads front worn, some noise from the front lefthandside. Didnt get much off the price, mainly due to my awesome bargaining skills ("Ummm, 7000?" Idiot.)
Found out on the way back that the cruise control wasn't working and radio reception is terrible. Also forgot to mention to the people there that there was no tire repair kit.

So all in all I'm pretty much an alzheimer's patient but I'm still satisfied with the purchase (and the price, and the performance).
The car still has 4 winter tires fitted (215/45/17) but will get new r595's or similar from what I've read.

So. That's that. Some pictures, taken with my phone since there was nothing else at hand.

IMG_20140614_170304.jpg
IMG-20140614-WA0000.jpg
IMG_20140614_205037.jpg

Also first question: CC doesn't work, clutch sensor seems to work (touches pedal and connector correctly fitted, haven't measured).
It does turn on (shows on dash) but when I press + or - nothing happens. Kind of sucks since this helps keep consumption under control.

Welcome to the forum and 197 ownership Michiel! Is it worth going back to the garage to discuss those problems that you have with the car, or have you tried that??

Thanks everyone! I will give them a ring tomorrow, but the 500km drive isn't worth it (the fuel alone exceeds the costs for a new antenna, repair kit and CC fix probably).

I have some small plans for the car:
- It doesn't have an upgraded audio system so no speakers in the back. Planning on replacing the 4 with pioneer replacement or something else that delivers better sound and way more bass, maybe also new HU but money is running low. Is there a clean solution for a little more bass? (I'm no Golf GTI driver with a gazillion watts of bass, but I'm used to better sound than this).

- I need to replace the front brake pads, looking at some affordable but properly braking ones. Tips?
> Also need to unjam the brake piston on one I think, feels like it's stuck. Bleeding the brakes while I'm at it.

- New antenna to resolve crappy FM reception.

- Maybe put some 3M 3d carbon foil on the dash, not too fond of the glossy grey.

- Replacing the black vents with silver ones, looks better IMO.

Then it's off to the Nurburgring in the 2nd week of july!

Last edited:
Hi Michael. Welcome to the club ( Can you Help going to Amsterdam for weekend with the wife were would you stay thanks KEVIN
I dont think I can, havent booked anything there ever. Usually find a mate there and go take a nap!
I'm sure there are lots of good hotels/hostels/b&b for you to go to. Your choice!

Similar Thread Suggestions