New brake setup

c197mark

Renault Parts Advisor
Platinum Member
Ive finally got round to getting the bits i needed for my new brakes, ive brought a set of redstuff front pads (thanks woody) a set of rear redstuff pads off ebay, motul 600 brake fluid and a set of blue braided hel flexi hoses which i brought off of exon, im going to use the original discs as most people ive spoke to have said that the original discs are more than capable so ive stuck with them,
I think the standard brakes are excellent but i do drive my 197 quite hard and ive had a few hairy moments where ive had quite bad brake fade so i think im due an upgrade,
Good thing is the whole lot only cost me £150, got the front pads for £60, the rear for £40, the braided hoses for £40 and the motul fluid was £10 so not a bad little spend, should all be going on, on saturday so ill update this thread with pics when all done .

No its dot4 this is the stuff i brought 400134133146 i wanted the get the castrol stuff cant remember what one it was now but i found it on ebay and it was £40 a litre i wasnt going to pay that lol. i didnt think i could you dot5.1 in the clio so thought better stay with dot4

ive got 5.1 in mine mate and it never boils even when i am abusing it. i would reccomend it

Dot 5.1 is considered the racing grade but that doesn't automatically mean it's better than dot 4.

You need to look at the wet and dry boiling points. Dry boiling point is what you get with brand new fluid, wet boiling point is what you get with a small percentage of water in the fluid (i.e after 2 years use).

I think that motul 600 is one of the best brake fluids, maybe also have a look at the carbone lorraine one ktec sells as I think this is meant to be fairly good too

You will find all racing brake fluids are dot4,dot 5.1 are long life fluids and less seceptable to moisture absorbtion than dot4,obviously this is beneficial for road cars but due to the regular changes for race cars the better mechanical properties of dot4 are preffered

Well I'm going to try the motul stuff 1st see how I get on then see weather to get 5.1 or stick with the motul stuff

Another vote for Motul RBF 600 here, used it for years with no issues. Castrol SRF is crazy expensive, so if it doesn't mean the difference between winning or losing a race, it ain't worth it!

You will find all racing brake fluids are dot4,dot 5.1 are long life fluids and less seceptable to moisture absorbtion than dot4,obviously this is beneficial for road cars but due to the regular changes for race cars the better mechanical properties of dot4 are preffered

You're thinking of Dot 5 which isn't hygroscopic, hence doesn't absorb moisture. As a result you can get separation of the fluid from the water which can lead to corrosion of parts, freezing of the water content etc.

Hence why Dot 5 requires regular changes. Dot 5.1 is hygroscopic, along with Dot 4 and Dot 3 and should have higher wet/dry boiling points.

dot 5 is fully synthetic . . . .. its for bikes im talking 5.1 with a boiling point of 5k i can assure u u wont have to change it for 12 months and it will not fade.

castrol is £50 a litre u need 2 litres and its well worth it trust me

Aye, the castrol stuff is crazy i am using 660 so i ll see how it fairs. Are you getting your discs skimmed for the new pads?