My new motor!

As some of you may know, I had a Clio R27 in black from March 2009 to March 2010, then changed to a Megane R26 which was Stage 1 running about 260BHP, but had LOADS of problems.

So, I decided to go 'reliable' and change to an Edition 30 Golf GTI.

c5f334f6.jpg

Long story short, the cambelt change done in Feb left a rogue bolt which the belt was now catching on, so 30 mins after picking the car up, it went into limp mode, and then ended up firing on 3 and sounding like a tractor.

£1400 later (luckily under warranty!) and it's all fine but it felt a touch slow compared to get the Meg despite this has the same engine as the Leon Cupra and S3 in it so has a larger turbo than a standard GTI. However, having the larger turbo means it remaps quite well...

b59ea674.jpg

(now running 314bhp and 319lb/ft)

However, quick as it may be, the suspension and brakes are shocking, so within the next month it will have the following added:

- Whiteline Anti Lift Kit
- Whiteline Rear ARB
- Bilstein B16 Suspension
- Leon Cupra/S3 Brakes

I am also:

- Adding RNS510 touch scrreen Sat Nav system with Bluetooth and reversing camera
- Xenon upgrade
- Slight tint to rear windows
- ITG Intake
- Milltek Catback

Long term, they can go to 360BHP and 380LB/FT but I'd need a High Pressure Fuel Pump, Larger Downpipe and probably a new clutch to cope!!

Here's an idea of what they can do when Stage 2+'d:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaRUop1cxb4

My car also needs a detail ASAP, but luckily I know a man that can, so it should be looking a lot less sorry for itself after BH Monday

I'll keep this updated as the mods go on

Cheers,
Russ.

Yes Mk2, nah have not done anything really .. all i have done is a neuspeed P-flo induction kit and when funds are good i will get it mapped.

cool i will keep them in mind! only changed to the Leon due to a new arrival so spirited driving is rather rare at the moment lol

Glad you got it sorted in the end, read your thread over on detailingworld!

That's an insane power increase from just a remap, keep us updated on the future mods

Frigging LOVE these cars, whenever the clio goes wrong I start to look at these :smiley:.

I can imagine that kind of power is immense, but the handling on the golfs is very soggy, I took my bro-in-laws R32 round mallory park recently and couldn't believe how sloppy and rolly and heavy it was, the clio was SO much more fun. Though the power on the R32 was addictive :wink:

Frigging LOVE these cars, whenever the clio goes wrong I start to look at these :smiley:.

I can imagine that kind of power is immense, but the handling on the golfs is very soggy, I took my bro-in-laws R32 round mallory park recently and couldn't believe how sloppy and rolly and heavy it was, the clio was SO much more fun. Though the power on the R32 was addictive :wink:

R32 is a heavy car remember, big VR6 right over the nose and 4WD drivetrain, at a guess 300-400KG heavier that an RS200. I think you would find the GTI 'better', but the difference between what a stock GTI and stock RS200 handle like is quite a gap.

A stage 1 Ed30 will take most cars on in a straight line, stage 2 and you can start flashing porsches to get out of the way. Even with stock ECU management I annoy people with cars twice the value of mine.

Last edited:
Nice motor, shame about the problems. been following on fb, so I've already seen it though! Ha ha.