My first french car (Clio 200)

DafyddJones

Paid Member
I have recently bought a new car which is a black Clio 200. Its currently not on the road as I am waiting for the insurance on my current car to run out.

4DE9B4E8-B92A-4CF7-A1C2-CAD6F8770ADD.jpeg

So I've decided it is the perfect time to carry out some paint correction to get it looking shiny, it may not be perfect but I'm no professional detailer, but I am happy with the results so far.
BEA14FA4-6B26-462B-A0D4-80006767D82D.jpeg

And also ordered some parts to stop some future problems from occurring. The first being Stainless steel retaining pins for the front calipers which I was told are not so tight as the standard ones so they don't seize in the calipers but come with R-clips to keep them in place.
The second preventative maintenance measure I've taken is to order powerflex Engine and Gearbox bushes which I am aware will add some vibration but will get better as they bed in? But the reason for these are to prolong the life of the standard manifold and flexis.
I really can't wait to drive her again!

Welcome. Some worthy maintenance items. The power flex bushes do settle down considerably

Reactions: Pav
Welcome. Good idea with the preventative maintenance, i've learnt the hard way with brakes. I like the extra vibration with the powerflex bushings if im honest, makes the car feel a bit more responsive also.

Reactions: DafyddJones
Welcome. Good idea with the preventative maintenance, i've learnt the hard way with brakes. I like the extra vibration with the powerflex bushings if im honest, makes the car feel a bit more responsive also.
Yeah I suppose it's best to pay to keep it running as it should than to pay to get it repaired :thumb: I hope i do to haha, the bushes have arrived I just need to get around to fitting them now.

Welcome! Both great investments, the pins and pads should be taken out and lubed up on a regular basis to stop them seizing.

The main engine mount on the drivers side i'd avoid replacing as this will give the vibrations, the other 3 arnt too bad.

As another thing to add to the preventative list, rear caliper springs. They are about a fiver from eBay and make a difference as the rear calipers stick. Search for Megane mk2 rear caliper springs and they should work fine.

Welcome! Both great investments, the pins and pads should be taken out and lubed up on a regular basis to stop them seizing.

The main engine mount on the drivers side i'd avoid replacing as this will give the vibrations, the other 3 arnt too bad.

As another thing to add to the preventative list, rear caliper springs. They are about a fiver from eBay and make a difference as the rear calipers stick. Search for Megane mk2 rear caliper springs and they should work fine.
I’ve already bought the 4, I think I’ll fit them all and then take that one out of I find it’s too bad

Reactions: Doogle
B963F543-5E7B-4888-B9D0-59629BDEFAA7.jpeg Just a little update. Stayed after work tonight to fit the upper torque mount powerflex bush, the powerflex inserts in the dogbone mount and Mr pink pins stainless brake pad retaining pins. Having a ramp made the dog bone inserts much easier.

I have recently bought a new car which is a black Clio 200. Its currently not on the road as I am waiting for the insurance on my current car to run out.

View attachment 133141

So I've decided it is the perfect time to carry out some paint correction to get it looking shiny, it may not be perfect but I'm no professional detailer, but I am happy with the results so far.
View attachment 133142

And also ordered some parts to stop some future problems from occurring. The first being Stainless steel retaining pins for the front calipers which I was told are not so tight as the standard ones so they don't seize in the calipers but come with R-clips to keep them in place.
The second preventative maintenance measure I've taken is to order powerflex Engine and Gearbox bushes which I am aware will add some vibration but will get better as they bed in? But the reason for these are to prolong the life of the standard manifold and flexis.
I really can't wait to drive her again!
Hi.
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

..how is the car going? You happy?
I’m very happy with it. Haven’t had a car put a smile on my face like this has! But I have put a lot of petrol into it since I put it on the road at the start of May. Averaging 27 mpg is a killer but so worth it Only issue I have is that the driver side rear bearing is making a noise while driving and it gets worse as I take left had corners. The rear bearings are pressed into the discs which means new discs which is a shame as the discs are like new!

I’m very happy with it. Haven’t had a car put a smile on my face like this has! But I have put a lot of petrol into it since I put it on the road at the start of May. Averaging 27 mpg is a killer but so worth it Only issue I have is that the driver side rear bearing is making a noise while driving and it gets worse as I take left had corners. The rear bearings are pressed into the discs which means new discs which is a shame as the discs are like new!
Sounds like its all good, I gotta do the brakes soon, and Am really not sure what direction I'll take, spent a fortune on my 197 and want to try avoid it with my 200. Just not easy finding stuff in my part of the world, so am coating on metal against metal these days.. .LOL :smiley:

Reactions: DafyddJones
Gave her an overdue wash today. She looks much better clean
A20220FC-A248-4BD1-9575-1B6C49B9D578.jpeg
Got the rear discs to go on next week to sort out the dodgy bearing along with pads while I’m changing the discs but also I noticed on the Facebook page people saying that they didn’t think their car was running hot enough and this seems to be due to a faulty thermostat. When I got the car I just assumed the scaling of the gauge was different but then I learnt the needle should be at dead centre when warmed up which mine isn’t so also got a thermostat and coolant to go in as well!

483CEB18-5150-4C76-B6E1-B27BD0FB5B3E.jpeg
Another update.
Rear bearing and thermostat now sorted but of course something else goes wrong. I’m thinking it’s the passenger lower ball joint as there’s a loud squeal as I turn at very low speeds.
Going to try and get it on a ramp this week to have a look.

Hopefully it will be on a ramp anyway because I’ve ordered myself a scorpion resonated cat-back and decat pipe. Also thinking about getting bronze ultraleggeras.

As I live on Anglesey I went to Anglesey circuit on Wednesday afternoon to watch a trackday and saw a few 197s which has made me want to try it out myself! Any tips on how to get the 200 ready for the track? Obviously decent tyres and brakes are a must. Anything else?

Just go out and try it first would be my advice! You can then work out where to go. I'm 6 trackdays deep and my 197 is pretty much standard, all i've done is the inserts you've done, PS4s all round and some decent pads.

Just go out and try it first would be my advice! You can then work out where to go. I'm 6 trackdays deep and my 197 is pretty much standard, all i've done is the inserts you've done, PS4s all round and some decent pads.
Im thinking of getting new wheels anyway so could use my current speedlines to put track tyres on