My epic weekend walk

Chrisgti6

East Midlands Rep.
Epic weekend walk

So last weekend I went up to Ben Nevis, we drove up Saturday, walked on Sunday and drove back (via Loch Ness) on Monday.

We (me, father in law and brother in law) walked up Ben Nevis via the Carn Mor Dearg (CMD) Arete, full route here http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/carnmordeargarete.shtml.

Set off at 06:40 and got back at 21:25 so just short of 15 hours later, but well worth it. Apart from the cloud cover it was perfect weather. Very calm <5mph winds, mild temperatures around 8 degrees. We really could have done with crampons and ice axes though as there were far more snow and ice fields than we expected, but we got through it!

Anyway, I'll let the pics do the talking!

View from my hotel room

null_zpsc3c42290.jpg

Few pics on the way up

null_zps1f4e362b.jpg

Steep?!

null_zpsc6404b1a.jpg

What this pic doesn't show is how steep it was, check the next one which was taken at the same spot, just facing 90degrees to the left

null_zps25dbac21.jpg

null_zpsaa833fc1.jpg

Top of the ridge

null_zps12825ae7.jpg

null_zpsa2b5e4b2.jpg

Final approach to Ben Nevis summit

null_zpse8a15313.jpg

The top!

null_zpsbe847813.jpg

Me emerging onto the top!

null_zpsd2003574.jpg

Couple on the way down

null_zps57883aa5.jpg

(My favourite pic)
null_zpsa1a76fb3.jpg

All in all an awesome weekend, but not sure where to go next?

Wow!

I planned on doing exactly the same thing (even the route via loch ness) with a mate last year, even booked the B&B but he broke his foot a few days before. This has got me geared up for it all over again! Thanks for sharing.

That looks fantastic. I've bookmarked this - it's very inspiring. I'm going to show the missus and hopefully have a bash myself!

Great thread.

Very nice, would love to do this myself, would be a nice change, and a challenge.

I'd leave all techno stuff at the bottom, other than an emergency phone, and forget about the crap I deal with day to day