multiple error messages!!!

aaron-rs197

Paid Member
changing from 2nd to 3rd at about 5-6k rpm this evening. engine was at warm running temp. total loss of power! thought i went into 5th instead of 3rd at one point! two error messages - CHECK INJECTION, followed by CHECK ESP. drove gingerly to tescos about a mile away and tried the old switch it off and on again a few times trick - nothing! sat on phone looking at forums for info with engine ticking over and got CHECK EMISSIONS. checked under bonnet all visible connections on sensors etc.

one thing i did notice though- the secondary air inlet to the right of the battery, the valve was stuck open whilst ticking over. i was under the impression this should be shut unless engine is revving under load then it opens. anyone shed any light on this please? got it booked in at local garage tomorrow for plug in diagnostics.

is running ok-ish at moment. got it home (10 miles) with no probs. engine was very eager to rev whilst pulling out of junctions. just a tiny tap on the throttle would send the rev needle crazy.

aaron.

Last edited:
As you've had an error and warning light on, I'd take it to a garage with diagnostics or search auto Electricion in google an find one near you. Usually £35 ish to diagnose it and they'll tell you exactly what (hopefully). Could just be a sensor or throttle pedal. But that would be wild guesses.

Dan

Have you had any further issues and did you take it to the garage for some diagnostics testing?

I'm interested as I had this happen to me last night whilst joining the motorway.

Same messages and after an off/on of the engine it seemed to sort itself out.

Bryan

local garage could read one fault code P0105 MAP sensor fault + a couple of unknown errors. the map sensor on my car is a few weeks old. they cleared that fault and the the engine light disappeared and the CHECK EMISSIONS message cleared. (the remaining ESP light and other two error messages didn't clear though). after a while it comes back. ordered a cheap map sensor off ebay to see if that does anything. cars going into renault dealer today for clip diagnostics.

Is it a genuin map sensor, never buy cheap pattern sensors, only oem renault

i removed the 3 week old £70 FAE branded MAP sensor i got from euros and replaced it with the £15 cheapo from ebay, cleared the codes using a mates code reader and it seem to have sorted all the problems/engine lights and messages etc. (for now anyway). going to try and track down a OEM part just in case it fails again. the cheap one feels like a MUCH better, secure fit than the genuine renault one that snapped and the FAE one i replaced it with a few weeks ago...

Last edited:
I have managed to narrow my problem down to this:

When driving along in 4th gear at 30-40mph and I put the accelerator all the way to the floor the engine doesn't accelerate. It just chokes, the 'check injectors' & 'check esp' messages show up and the car goes into limp mode. I can then pull over, turn the car off and then back on again and the messages and the limp mode have gone.

It happens every time. Now it's not like I'm doing this on purpose this is just how I join the motorway in the morning.

I have booked it to go back into Arnold Clark as I have a 12 month warranty with them so I'm hoping they will replace any sensors that are faulty.

I'll let you know how I get on.

t'was a faulty (3 week old) MAP sensor from Euro's. I then got a cheapo one off ebay to get the car running until I could source a reasonably priced OEM part and then stuck that in. No probs since.