Moving Out ...

Clairey-Lou

Platinum Member
Hi All,

I am now newly single :worried: and I am moving out of a two bed flat to a one bed flat on my own and just wanted to know if anyone has any experience of the man with a van type companies?

From what I am aware of you hire a van and get one or two burly men with it that lift all your stuff in to the van and move it to your new home?

Never used anything like this before so should I go there? or just attempt it on my own and hire just a van?

I used one on saturday and for £45 he was great, 3 hours and he was brilliant! I've got a big box van but the trek to work and back to collect it and mess about wasn't worth it for £45 including diesel and an extra pair of hands.

You can do that but if there's any valuable items personally id rather do it myself incase anything gets broken.

you can hire a van for a day usually around £50 for you to drive and get a few mates to help out, that's what I did when my sister split up with her partner

Just the usual stuff to hire must be over 21 and show both parts of license and some places ask for a deposit you get back at the end.

I'm just not the strongest person in the world and most my friends are girls so it might be a struggle lumping TV's, a washing machine, freezer and sofa down 3 flights of stairs :O

That's what I was worried about too, that they may break or damage things?

First of all, break ups are never good. But keep smiling :smile:

Second of all, You could either hire a van and try get some of the men in your life to help you with the heavy things for some beer tokens in exchange and you and your female friends just do all the lighter valuable things.

Or hire a man with a van and you do all the light valuable things while he does all the heavy lifting?

Im sure wont struggle for volunteers to help out if you ask nicely on here Claire :innocent:

As said anything valuable or breakable I would move myself if its not too bulky for you to carry, otherwise shouldnt be too much of a problem for a man with a van

Organise a "clio meet" could see who could get the most random item in the back of a clio..... we got a 3 seater sofa in a punto sporting... well two thirds was hanging out lol

Aw thank you, I am okay ... plodding on and trying to get back on track.

Beer tokens could be a good idea! The girls are always on hand to help but breaking a nail is probably a major issue with them so that's why I was told about the man with a van idea i think as Clio's don't have thatttt much room lol!

Do you have to be 21 or 25 to hire vans if I were to do it on my own?

Thanks guys ... really appreciate your help as I am USELESS with stuff :S

Organise a "clio meet" could see who could get the most random item in the back of a clio..... we got a 3 seater sofa in a punto sporting... well two thirds was hanging out lol

HAHAHA ... Fantastic idea, who wants in a Clio meet at Renault Dunstable :wink:

Do it on 1st September when there is the how fast track day at bedford autodrome lol, we will be down near ya.... you provide the bacon butties and could be 12 clios lol, post it on the how fast thread ya never know lol

We once did that.. My mate came back with a brand new radiator and my other mate came back with 6 ducks.:tongueout:anic:

Beer tokens could be a good idea! The girls are always on hand to help but breaking a nail is probably a major issue with them so that's why I was told about the man with a van idea i think as Clio's don't have thatttt much room lol!

Do you have to be 21 or 25 to hire vans if I were to do it on my own?

Thanks guys ... really appreciate your help as I am USELESS with stuff :S

Yeah beer tokens always grab mens attention, or just buy some beers stack the boxes high and send them a picture and they will be round in no time. But yeah women and nails can be an issue!

Depends where you live really and the company policy where you go, i can hire a van from my local plant hire and have been able to since i was 21 (now 23).

A new car radiator or house radiator? And 6 real life ducks?? That sounds like an epic road trip souvenir lol

I would try..... Always like a challenge lol, just think of the sight of a clio convoy with random pieces of furniture hanging out lol

I would try..... Always like a challenge lol, just think of the sight of a clio convoy with random pieces of furniture hanging out lol

Haha! This is quite an amusing thought actually, I can imagine a kitchen sink hanging out my window and a sofa out the back.. :lol:

Lol ... I would pay more than a bacon sandwich to who ever can get my three seater sofa in their Clio! LOL

Definitely! I sometimes struggle to get my cleaning stuff into my clio!

A new car radiator or house radiator? And 6 real life ducks?? That sounds like an epic road trip souvenir lol

A house radiator, i used to actually have a photo of it. It was new and still all in the wrapping. And yes 6 real life ducks, he tried to get the swans but they didn't want to play game. Haha! But everything was returned safely :smile:

"no animals were harmed in the taking of this photo" lol, We are not helping Claire out here thou..... Sixt are 21 plus and £73 for a friday AM collect bring back saturday if that helps x

"no animals were harmed in the taking of this photo" lol, We are not helping Claire out here thou..... Sixt are 21 plus and £73 for a friday AM collect bring back saturday if that helps x

That's ok, this conversation is cheering me up no end :smiley:

Thanks, they dont sound bad at all, I'm 25 (getting old) so thats fine :smile:

I doooo want to see this convoy though :tongueout: I have A LOT of cr*p in my flat as well :-p