MOT Failure - Advice

Had my MOT this morning, expected something however failed on the following:

"Offside steering system has excessive free play detected at the steering wheel" (Steering rack fitted)

Anyone ever had this issue? Quoted £60 part supplied and fitted.

Thanks in advance

I was told my steering had ''some movement'' in it when I had my summer check...

I'll probably need to sort that out in May for the MOT too.

Weak part on the car?

I was told my steering had ''some movement'' in it when I had my summer check...

I'll probably need to sort that out in May for the MOT too.

Weak part on the car?
same here when it was last in the garage
MOT in march so prob have to be done

you got off lightly mate.
mine was 2 new ball jonts (£208/each), an i ordered a wrong part aswell at an expense of £178 :blush:

nearly £700 on ball joints and labour.

The track rods are apparently a common thing, especially when tested with the engine off.

My tester noted it as an advisory (was also on last years), but said that it wasn't worth doing anything about as a matter of urgency, and that lots of later Renaults are the same. The car had a main dealer service not long after the last MoT, and they seemed happy with it. I will probably get mine done the next time the car goes for a holiday at the garage.

you got off lightly mate.
mine was 2 new ball jonts (£208/each), an i ordered a wrong part aswell at an expense of £178 :blush:

nearly £700 on ball joints and labour.

Bloody hell, must be pattern pats available for less than that.

On my old car they were about £10 each

Local garage where the gf works doing the work so probably just stick to there for £60 supplied/fitted.

4 x new tyres this week aswell.

Bloody hell, must be pattern pats available for less than that.

On my old car they were about £10 each

nope, rang around a million an one places and no one does pattern parts for 197s as they havent been around for an overly long time.
i was as horrified as you was cuz ive never paid any more than £35 for a ball joint before.
They do come as a rather large unit tho

Local garage where the gf works doing the work so probably just stick to there for £60 supplied/fitted.

4 x new tyres this week aswell.

haha, on top of the ball joints i had to pay for, an the wrong part, i had labour, 2 new 18" tyres and tax all up on the same month.
OUCH! :glare:

haha, on top of the ball joints i had to pay for, an the wrong part, i had labour, 2 new 18" tyres and tax all up on the same month.
OUCH! :glare:

I would have :'(

I thought mine was bad with tyres, tax and a £250 recovery fee to pay due to a dodgy fuel pump (fixed under warranty)