Middle seat belt - MOT failure. Was there a recall?

Hi,

Car failed its MOT due to the middle seat belt not functioning... other than that car flew thru.

Its probably never been used and has passed 5 MOTs since new but the middle lap belt seems to have a completely different style male clip, Ie both fit in the black holder but neither in the red one to secure the lap belt. Spoke to Renault and they have advised it was quite common but wouldn't admit that it was a design floor and wanted to charge me £56 for a replacement locking system.

The clip will go in and lock if the red button is supressed down first. Mrs taking the car back tomorrow to show the jobsworth that it does work but that there is a querk to it. Hope they accept that it does work, just not how its supposed to be.

Anyone else experienced this and any advice.

Ta

Hi,

Car failed its MOT due to the middle seat belt not functioning... other than that car flew thru.

Its probably never been used and has passed 5 MOTs since new but the middle lap belt seems to have a completely different style male clip, Ie both fit in the black holder but neither in the red one to secure the lap belt. Spoke to Renault and they have advised it was quite common but wouldn't admit that it was a design floor and wanted to charge me £56 for a replacement locking system.

The clip will go in and lock if the red button is supressed down first. Mrs taking the car back tomorrow to show the jobsworth that it does work but that there is a querk to it. Hope they accept that it does work, just not how its supposed to be.

Anyone else experienced this and any advice.

Ta

I haven't got a middle seat belt in my car... It's a 200. Does the 197 actually have a middle seat belt :O?

I've no middle seat belt in the rear either, but then mines is a 200 as well. I had my driver seat belt fail on me, it was locked in and wouldn't reel out at all. Had to clip the passenger seat belt into the drivers side holder to stop the beeping when I took it to Renault to get fixed (thankfully under warranty).

My 197 has a middle seat belt although I don't think it's ever been used in the 4 years I've had my car, it's does work though as MOT test it every year.

Funny how Renault call it a common fault, I've never seen an issue with them at all.

Car passed its MOT with the quirk...

Bloody waste of time...

Now to fix the Landy with a knackered alternator...

saving money!!!

Or perhaps they knew it was a common fault :wink:

Alternatively, you could just remove the middle seat belt if you never use it. I think it's bolted through the right one if you face the back from the front. Obviously if it passes the MOT without it, don't put it back in.

Last edited:
Or perhaps they knew it was a common fault :wink:

Alternatively, you could just remove the middle seat belt if you never use it. I think it's bolted through the right one if you face the back from the front. Obviously if it passes the MOT without it, don't put it back in.

Car will be registered on the V5 as a 5 seater though. The 200 is registered as a 4 seat car.

No idea if it's bad advice or not to be honest. I just know that on the tax book it states that my 200 has 4 seats and I assume on a tax book for a 197 it states 5 seats.