Montanas Deep Black 197

well spotted there..could have caused a bad damage..its worth checking now and then...
looking good

Replaced my lower engine mount (dogbone). It was a very steaighforward job and took about 30mins in total.

Original mount removed
1aca943a4c5b8f548403dd779ca8a1c6.jpg
I noticed a small crack on the smaller end, will keep my eye on this and will have to replace the mount at some point (will be worsened by having harder mounts at the opposite end)

Pushing the new inserts in
a74f6e25a74b1d12ae4e57449b91472a.jpg

Finished
0dd1baa22bfbb6c8fd98d0f8ebc8c286.jpg

Refitted
8ec5a9956afad239380fd7a5c425bf4b.jpg

The lower mount made a positive improvement to the drive and the slight jerk when coming off throttle is now gone (in conjunction with the upper torque arm powerflex I fitted recently)

A note on vibration which is important and it can be misinterpreted on here. The initial slight vibrations I felt from fitting the torque arm mount have settled down since fitting. Changing this lower mount introduced 0 (zero) extra vibration , NONE :smile:

Also had a play with my SJCAM and decided on a mounting position next to the rear view mirror (see other thread).

ee1ddadc347afdb80fa595985ac92653.jpg

Last edited:
Had enough of the middle box blowing so i bought some replacement pipe http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321465012924 and a exhaust pipe cutter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171708565133?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT and set about removing the middle box.

Here it is removed, been 'repaired' previously it seems , blowing at the join on the underside of the car so pretty difficult to weld given that it was the original one piece system.

IMAG0596_zpsepiuoioq.gif

Fitted - with plenty of VHT silicone
IMAG0592_zpsszrwpjvh.gif
First impressions - its not much different, granted its slightly louder , i guess the real test will be tomorrow on the motorway.

Also fitted a steering wheel insert which looks good
IMAG0598_zpsrjocfeeu.gif

So, motorway run today , slightly louder but nothing major. The sound seems to be developing into a more tinny / raspy sound. I like it :smile:

happy days then..people usually experience some bad flat spots after removing the center silencer...

Replaced my passenger track rod end recently with a Lemforder item from ECP.

The old (worn) one put up a bit of a fight though, here is old vs new

IMAG0603_zpsx4cpf2k7.gif

Bought a pair but due to the bad weather towards the end of last week i still have the drivers one to do (although nothing wrong with it, but good to replace in pairs i understand).

Today i had a travel down to Wigan ,to 3 Sisters circuit, very enjoyable day - I did 10 laps in the 197 which i enjoyed, took it nice and steady really - there were some fast cars there today. Well worth a trip if you are local , the next one is on 7th June. Its primarily a go karting track so small but at £20 for 10 laps its very good fun.

Pic of the 197 in the pits along with my mate in the FN2.
IMAG0626_zpsb2ih3hwl.gif

Collecting a few parts which will hopefully get fitted in the next week or so in prep for my Nurburgring trip at the end of the month.

uploadfromtaptalk1433276448281.jpg

Parts
Front discs and pads
Brembo replacement seals & pins
Lower droplinks

Also some Yellow hammerite, brake line clamps and paint brushes.

Will be getting the alignment checked too with replacing suspension items
[emoji1]

been busy with the 197 recently with lots of pictures...

My first plan was to remove and replace the seals on my calipers (due to them all being cracked), in my head i thought 1 full day on this job would suffice, however it ended up turning into 3 do to various issues - this was the most involving DIY i have done! ;

This is what i was faced with prior to removing the calipers, coated in various states of red & black paint.
IMAG0754_zps9zwjoikt.gif

I have previously checked that the caliper pins would remove ok, they would with the help of a lump hammer and a decent set of punches
IMAG0756_zpsbwhjlehk.gif

Loosen / removal of the caliper bolts (M12)
IMAG0755_zpsjk1hm2da.gif

Undo the brake line from the caliper
IMAG0757_zps4hxcg6kk.gif

In order to clamp the brake lines i bought a pair of these - dont waste your time, they are rubbish and didnt clamp the brake line correctly
IMAG0758_zpslwtgq42q.gif

They were replaced with good old molegrip / microfibre combination
IMAG0764_zpswb0pv7j6.gif

With the calipers off - i then removed the discs, the retaining bolts are made of soft metal and i had a bit of an issue removing them, managed ok on driver side but the passenger side i failed at removing 1, despite trying T40/T45/T50, it was stuck fast. I had no access to power tools so had a bit of an issue, anyway come back to that later.

Now i turned my attention the the anti rotation / lower droplinks. You need a T40 torx socket, however mine quickly snapped clean in half (halfords professional)
IMAG0768_zpsmib2ubhi.gif

Thankfully they have a lifetime guarantee so after a visit to Halfords, i had a replacement
IMAG0765_zpshzgdkxnm.gif

However i was now stuck as i had no way of removing the anti rotation droplink (also on passenger side!)
IMAG0769_zpskgbj3jgt.gif

I moved to the drivers side and managed to undo both bolts ok , i decided to not replace this part yet though until i could do both at the same time.

with both calipers removed and 1 disc, i moved inside, old vs new disc comparison
IMAG0770_zpswf6lzp9g.gif

Caliper on the table with pads / pins removed, this is what i was faced with - you can make out how mashed the dust covers where
IMAG0771_zpsituwaeny.gif

Now, first step was to remove the dust covers before removing the pistons - I didnt have access to compressed air (which is a must!) and the foot pump failed to cut it, so after another journey to borrow an air line i had all the pistons out! Whilst at my brothers unit, we gave the calipers a liberal brushing of thinners, this had a slight effect but not as much as hoped at removing all the paint, so i then set about the painstaking task of using a stanley blade on them to remove the paint
IMAG0781_zpswesu3gqe.gif

pistons out!
IMAG0782_zpsrqnqzx7u.gif

I bought this drill attachement from halfords to assist with the paint removal (it helped in places)
IMAG0783_zpsrivkj2xx.gif

But unfortunately the most effective way of removing the caked on paint was by hand!
IMAG0784_zpsr5hrobry.gif

After many hours they were now stripped of paint , cleaned inside and out and then the replacement seals replaced
IMAG0788_zpsqecfsrnu.gif
IMAG0789_zpstzkb7cjy.gif

In situ (lots of grease used!)
IMAG0794_zpswxwpv9o3.gif

This was the end of day 2 (spent the 2nd day removing all paint by hand). I then began painting with Hammerite yellow, beware you need to leave 4 hours between applications, and due to my desperation to get them back on the car involved me setting my alarm for 1am to get up and give a 2nd coat (thinking 2 coats would be enough and they would be ready to go back on the 197 first thing in the morning) WRONG! the paint is very thin and they needed a 3rd coat, I am not 100% happy with the finish but given the circumstances i had to accept it.

Here is a shot of the discs being painted silver on the soon to be rusty bits, also did the caliper bolt heads
IMAG0776_zpsxvtdrsqx.gif

Refitted on the 197 (looking much better)
IMAG0809_zpszl7mgjbq.gif

Any questions re caliper refurb, fire away!

So back to the stuck disc and seized anti rotation drop link, well this was another visit back to the brothers unit where the disc bolt was drilled out and the anti rotation drop links angle grinded off. Power tools!!
IMAG0811_zpscw5xzb0t.gif

Now attention turned to an annoying cluk / knock that i had on the passenger side, after exhausting all options (including balljoints) I decided to focus on the slight movement in the wheel when held at 3 & 9 - and given that the outer TREs had been replaced, decided the fault must be with the inner track rods.

Now i had read about a special tool being needed, but not cheap at £52, however decided to buy the tool
IMAG0841_zpshsrw3cff.gif

Which made removing the inner track rod easy!

Old
IMAG0840_zpsvyecudny.gif

New
IMAG0837_zpsjqo9k2bk.gif

All done!

Today the 197 went for wheel alignment and was told that the inner track rod on the drivers side (the opposite side) was loose and alignment couldnt be done, which was slightly worrying and looks like i will also shortly be replacing the driver side. I wasnt there but from the description, he said he was turning the inner track rod and it wasnt adjusting / he also said it was loose where it joins to the track rod, i can only think its not tight and he is turning in the anti clockwise direction therefore unscrewing from the rack.

I will probably order the new part from renault wolverhampton and just replace it as a matter of course, rather than jack up - inspect / put back together / jack up / replace. Had my fair share of 197 DIY recently :smile:

So today i replaced the offside inner track rod due to the issue not being able to do the alignment last week. Interestingly , the part was secure (tight) and not loose as the garage said - i could see nothing wrong with the part i removed - I checked the inner track rod could move in / out into the TRE and that it wasnt bottomed out inside the TRE - however i then managed to get the wheel alignment sorted no issues - so no great issue.

interestingly i noticed the inner track rods (ITR) have the manufacture date stamped on them, the one i removed from the offside was dated 2013 whereas the nearside one i removed last week (with play) was dated 2008 - so an original item!

Replacing the nearside ITR has dampened down the clunk but it is still present, i am now thinking either top mount / strut - however after my flurry of activity i have no desire to spend anymore time messing with the 197 (give me a few weeks :blink:smile:

good work there Pete..do you do all the work yourself??
i spent whole last Sat trying to fix my rattling exhaust..think i made it worse :zap:
haha..some of it its gone but not great..

good work there Pete..do you do all the work yourself??
i spent whole last Sat trying to fix my rattling exhaust..think i made it worse :zap:
haha..some of it its gone but not great..

yeah all work done by myself that is possible , big jobs i would still need to use a garage.

whats causing the rattle ?

So further investigations into my clunk now leads me to believe it is either top mount / shock related on the passenger side, therefore i recently planned to replace both shocks and top mounts

Shocks http://renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/products/Renault-Clio-197-Shock-Absorber-(Front)-.html
Top Mounts (OE spec and cheaper than RUK) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Febi-Fron...k-Absorber-Genuine-Replacement-/111516223399?

I had a tussle loosening the top mount bolts (with the car on the floor) however once up in the air i had an even bigger battle with the strut pinch bolt, it was stuck solid. There was no chance it was going to push out as guide on here suggested, i spent the best part of an hour with a breaker bar slowly turning it out, got 1/2 way out and wouldn't budge any further.
At this point i was loosing the will to live and knowing my MOT is just around the corner i caved in and gave the MOT garage a call, upshot is they are going to replace the shocks / top mounts this tuesday when it goes in for the MOT.

I removed my rear diffuser (following from this thread http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?49239-Respraying-diffuser-back-to-OEM-(ish)&highlight=)
and i am currently in the process of respraying it. Although in traditional french character, the rear passenger side diffuser bolt snapped clean off when removing it.

I have also replaced the aerial base due to my rubbish reception - full guide here http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?49554-Replacing-aerial-base-anoyone-done-it

Hopefully have further updates once the diffuser is refitted and its passed the MOT

Refitted my diffuser today, think it looks miles better back in grey as it should be and less like a DCI (as it was a little lost before)

BEFORE
197Tips_zpszguq2byy.gif

AFTER
Diffuser%20resprayed_zpsjn7rjlwp.gif

Last edited: