MonsterSport Supercharger for the Clio - Group Buy opportunity

Fernandez

Gold Member
As title says really I'm seeing what serious interest there is for a Supercharger conversion on the 197/200

I have been in talks with Monstersport-Europe who would like to develop a Supercharger for the Clio, for those who dont know who MonsterSport are here is a brief synopsis...

Monster Sport Europe Ltd is a UK Renaultsport dealer for rally products and are technical partner to the Twingo Renaultsport R1 and R2 Trophy UK.

The Milton Keynes based company has spent the last few months developing the Renault Twingo R1 on gravel for its debut in the 2012 MSA British Rally Championship. Its success was proven with the recent gravel endurance test at the Sweetlamb Rally Complex, where the car ran faultlessly over one hundred kilometres.

With huge experience and technical expertise gained in ten years spent on the World Rally Championship and three JWRC world titles, Monster Sport can offer customers a vast array of services from Twingo R1, Twingo R2, Clio R3 and Clio Group N parts supply, on and off event technical support, full car builds and pre event preparation.

Their technical expertise is second to none and thats why they are an official Technical partner to Renaulsport so the conversion will be top notch.

Ideally they would like around 5 people that would be seriously interested in a group buy. Development of the conversion could take around 4-6 months so you would have plenty of time to save some cash.

No firm price as yet but the guestimate from their end is around the £3-4k for the complete install including fabrication and mapping. Which is on par with a decent meg conversion.

I'm in talks with them about other business so any questions that I can't answer personally will be put to them quite quickly.

Last edited:
Cant see why not mate, they wouldn't be touching a customer car until their development car is sorted, plus they have access to Renaultsports finest technical minds.

Its just to guage interest at the moment, no money is being asked for.

possibly if the price comes down enough.

I'm in mkeynes too. Is that supercharger only and plumbing/mapping or pistons, headwork etc. I know rotrex makes some nice kits too.

tap into renaultsport sounds good too

possibly if the price comes down enough.

I'm in mkeynes too. Is that supercharger only and plumbing/mapping or pistons, headwork etc. I know rotrex makes some nice kits too.

tap into renaultsport sounds good too

That guestimated price is drive in, drive out which to be fair is good, you prob not gonna get it any cheaper. Not discussed pistons, power, very early days.

I'll be meeting with them soon and it will form part of the discussion although thats not my reason for going to see them. The supercharger was discussed off topic so I'm just throwing it open to everyone to see if anyone is interested.

The more people that get interested in developing the clio and pushing the envelope the better it is for everyone when modding their cars as there will be more choice. :thumbup:

Yes would it include internal work or would it just be a case of slapping a charger on ?

Tbf, you are not going to get anyone to charge an engine, forge it, do headwork all for under 4k. Forged rods and pistons are gonna cost around 1k alone.

Last edited:
ok.. Rotrex kits tends to be charger/plumbing/cooler/brackets/belt/pulley and an omex ecu. kit is a low pressure boost. so no head/engine work but they come in about 3.3k for a DIY kit. they use the same type of charges across cars with pulley size difference and a flange adapter, so ultimately can be taken off and used elsewhere with few parts wasted.

Be interesting to see the numbers :smile:

id be intrested in buying the parts only and fitting myself to keep costs down. Once it was fully devloped and tested though

I'd love to say yea but the money for me is an issue for the moment in time so it's a no :worried: but if they do do a kit maybe in couple year :tongueout:

I was just looking at compression ratio. The meg 225 has a 9:1 and 197 11.5:1 For value wanting 250-260 bhp is the minimum. So would i guest look for 7-8 psi of boost. The higher compression ratio is tall order and if any internal work needed. Meg transplant still looks more appealing as it has scope to mod as in standard format its delivering what a supercharger would deliver.

Sorry dont mean to be negative. A budget bolt on kit runing low boost to improve overall driveability is still a good deal. But high power and spending 3-4 k on a 6-8k 197??

higher compression 197 engine is a pig to boost. Now a 182 bottom end with a 197 head and your onto a winner.

As said though Meg conversion is just too cheap and effective to say no.

Biggest problem with this is purely the existance of the meg conversion, IMO.

Totally different animals though.

higher compression 197 engine is a pig to boost. Now a 182 bottom end with a 197 head and your onto a winner.

As said though Meg conversion is just too cheap and effective to say no.

MikeLY is running lower compression, however like you both say the Meg conversion is proven and a lot cheaper.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
j!mbob Car Parts For Sale 2
Primož Kavšek Clio 197 Area 5
fezza555 FI 33
U FI 21
R32pete FI 103