Maximum BHP of this engine as a nasp?

Regy53

Paid Member
Hi all,

I wondered if you could help, i am currently looking for a new toy after coming from many high power (600bhp plus) cars over the last few years.

Basically i have lost my way and am spoilt with what i can or have bought and while its great for pub chit chat, the enjoyment out of these cars is actually not as much as you would think. You dont want to track them for fear of breaking them, i drive a range rover day to day and in the end the cars just look pretty on the drive.

I am thinking about a RS200 to use solely for track but i see in many threads more power more power.... you can do this with a different engine (turbo) but does this ruin the "clio" high reving nasp point and squirt experience?

Has anybody ever gone the full hog and built a nasp engine with big cams, forged internals etc etc? was the power gain reasonable did it make it much better? or just a bit?

I haven't even bought a car and i am already thinking i know i will want more power so want to be wise with my purchase

many thanks
Ross

Welcome Ross!

You are right, a lot of people do crave a bit more power out of them, and a lot do opt to do the megane conversion, which then shoots them up nearer 300 or even more so depending on spec etc..

There are a couple that have gone the 'whole hog' itb forged internal route, and the cars then hit about 225-230 or something along those lines. But these conversions don't come cheap if you want to do it right!

Hi Ross. I ran a EVO FQ400, running 630bhp.Quite a few cars later, I have a Clio 197, running 320BHP/340Torque, It does Tesco, and track days.My ideal car, small, very quick.A Clio, with a Megane 225 conversion is very popular. The 250 engine is stronger, but needs more work to fit. If I was you, I would do the 225 conversion, OR sod it, do the 250 conversion.I also ran a 225 with 280/310,so perhaps that might suit you.Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: A1axx
Yeap I had a moderately powered Impreza with 440. So missed it big time when I had the Clio at 204. Corner speed wise it laps combe faster, but straights are boring.

To go quick NA you need deep pockets, and it will also be less practical as you will want it stripped and lightweight to make the most of it.

Mine is now megane converted and going for mapping shortly. However it doesn't sound good.

Supercharged is dearer if you don't get lucky with a good conversion coming up second hand. Will rev tho and sound ace

197 Meglio Racer ! http://www.clio197.net/threads/gw-197-track-sprint-car-cup-racerified-and-now-boosted.53560/

Hi Ross and welcome to the forum.

I'll come out and say it, stay away from tuning these engines the NA way. Lots have tried and failed miserably.

If you think you'd miss the power then my only advice is to be patient and wait for a megane'd clio to come up for sale, this happens rather frequently. Or just buy a Megane:smile:

Supercharging is another route but a bit of an uncharted territory up until now that RSTuning are about to release a kit. Prepare to pay top dollar for it though.

These are great cars and in contrary to people's belief, very reliable assuming they are properly maintained. Get in, drive the guts out of it at the track and then go back home in it. Mine is an NA example in full trim and I'm doing exactly that, and I love it..

Thanks everybody I am thankful for your views and advise.

It would seem I need to think about this carefully, as I dont want to detract from the way I perceive a clio to be. However I was watching the videos of the 7up car on youtube and I used to have a very track specific mg ZS with a BAM audi turbo lump, she was 300bhp per ton and at times of the video the 7up clio was 20mph faster through craner curves than the zs ever was thats some going just shows how good these cars can be.

Tempted with that to maybe look at this exact clio, also potentially found a supercharged one for sale but its not as track specific although it has a lot of bits.

The other thing i can do is buy a cheaper 6k clio and spend the rest doing it myself but i know it will cost more doing this

thanks again

Ross

If I was buying a cheap(ish) car just for track and didn't want big power I'd just buy a Lotus 7 style car. What's the point in buying a hatchback and spending thousands faffing when you can have something ready done that's quicker?

If I was buying a cheap(ish) car just for track and didn't want big power I'd just buy a Lotus 7 style car. What's the point in buying a hatchback and spending thousands faffing when you can have something ready done that's quicker?

+1

Road legal, more fun, quicker and 10k would buy you something already completely ‘sorted’.

Whilst these cars are fab: there’s a big World outside of the Diamond badge........

cheers

i dont really have a garage i can store it in so it needs to be a saloon car.

I am just after a bit of fun, i would think a nasp car with breathing mods and handling mods would do and then sell up and move on as and when

Thanks everybody I am thankful for your views and advise.

It would seem I need to think about this carefully, as I dont want to detract from the way I perceive a clio to be. However I was watching the videos of the 7up car on youtube and I used to have a very track specific mg ZS with a BAM audi turbo lump, she was 300bhp per ton and at times of the video the 7up clio was 20mph faster through craner curves than the zs ever was thats some going just shows how good these cars can be.

Tempted with that to maybe look at this exact clio, also potentially found a supercharged one for sale but its not as track specific although it has a lot of bits.

The other thing i can do is buy a cheaper 6k clio and spend the rest doing it myself but i know it will cost more doing this

thanks again

Ross

Danny's car is quick for a reason. Mostly lots and lots of time and effort and built by one of the best in the business. It's a long long way off just having a Meg lump in it.

If you're going all out, it's not going to be cheap. But there's a LOT that can be done for less money. The chassis really is glorious. Once you put proper suspension on it's one of the best around in my opinion.

Bottom line here is, if you're going to track it, you'll be wanting more power very quickly. As a road car it's pitched perfectly in NA form. For a track car, I'd be going all out for a supercharger if possible.

Reactions: DannyAG200
+1

Road legal, more fun, quicker and 10k would buy you something already completely ‘sorted’.

Whilst these cars are fab: there’s a big World outside of the Diamond badge........

Never been fond of them at all, but actually looking around my friends race car one that's back together, I was like f me, I can see why people love these.

Tad small for me but seriously cool

197 Meglio Racer ! http://www.clio197.net/threads/gw-197-track-sprint-car-cup-racerified-and-now-boosted.53560/

Reactions: sevenfourate
Never been fond of them at all, but actually looking around my friends race car one that's back together, I was like f me, I can see why people love these.

Tad small for me but seriously cool

I got my first drive in one only a few weeks ago. A Westfield with a 160 bhp 2 litre DOHC in it. About the least powerful / most basic engine people put in one. I gather you at least want the 180bhp Zetec to really start making things happen....

Owner told me it weighed around 600kg though. Man it was fun.

Reactions: A1axx
Reactions: sevenfourate