197 Maximum RPM

Maybe this is a repost but i couldnt find anything searching :\

I just want to be 100% sure what the standard 197 engine revs to as ive heard alsorts :S

Thanks, Reece :smile:

Not sure on the 197 but my 200 goes well past 8,000. And its done that on most gear changes for the last 36,000 miles.... the sound its just so addictive. Note to self - must get a video of this :thumbup:

Just a Miltek, itg and a map, I say just lol... I think the 197 and 200 are roughly 7,750 standard

Not sure on the 197 but my 200 goes well past 8,000. And its done that on most gear changes for the last 36,000 miles.... the sound its just so addictive. Note to self - must get a video of this :thumbup:

8k?! When my map was Amd it was 7800rpm and then K-tec dropped it to 7700rpm and said they wouldn't run higher without it being forged and even then they only run them to 8k!!! 7700 is still plenty of revs and yeah the miltek sounds awesome as my car goes beep.. change gear.. bang... haha. Never fails to make me smile :smile:

8k?! When my map was Amd it was 7800rpm and then K-tec dropped it to 7700rpm and said they wouldn't run higher without it being forged and even then they only run them to 8k!!! 7700 is still plenty of revs and yeah the miltek sounds awesome as my car goes beep.. change gear.. bang... haha. Never fails to make me smile :smile:

Never fails to make me smile it's highly addictive.

I can't argue with what AMD and K-TEC say cos they are the experts, but all I know is mine ain't forged and it revs past 8k, and it revs that high everyday as I do drive it like it was made for.. the engine has done around 35,000 miles in this guise and is still running strong, I appreciate that some people will say "yeah but it will go pop at sometime" but come on 35k, that's a good test and a millage that a lot of people on here will never see.

My only assumption it's that k-tec turned it down as they did not want to be liable just in case anything did pop.

Gonna do a little video later and upload it

Last edited:
std its 7500rpm (iirc)

8000rpm cut.....been played with!

cup racers use arp rod bolts because they had engines go bang with a 7800rpm limit (iirc) but that will be lap after lap

having said that it could be a slightly over reading rev counter :oops:

Lol, I had considered this but how would you tell?, before remap it was around 7500-7700, after map pure lunacy

Should be able to match the rev's with your speed to see if its out at all.
Set ur speed to 70mph in 4th gear (so the rev's are high ish) and see what rpm your at, i will check mine and let u know later. (or someone else may even post if they do it first)

Set ur speed to 70mph in 4th gear (so the rev's are high ish) and see what rpm your at, i will check mine and let u know later. (or someone else may even post if they do it first)

Nice one paul, I'll post it later. That means I'll have to use cruise control, not used it yet

Nice one paul, I'll post it later. That means I'll have to use cruise control, not used it yet

Haha, yes i only use cruise control for testing lol

will be later on tonight when i post (when i go to work) only just got home now so wont be going anywhere till then.

Never fails to make me smile it's highly addictive.

I can't argue with what AMD and K-TEC say cos they are the experts, but all I know is mine ain't forged and it revs past 8k, and it revs that high everyday as I do drive it like it was made for.. the engine has done around 35,000 miles in this guise and is still running strong, I appreciate that some people will say "yeah but it will go pop at sometime" but come on 35k, that's a good test and a millage that a lot of people on here will never see.

My only assumption it's that k-tec turned it down as they did not want to be liable just in case anything did pop.

Gonna do a little video later and upload it

haha it is so addictive... my favourite is traction control off in the damp and give it like 60/70% throttle and as it gets to the redline it really pops in 1st and 2nd as it fights for grip!!

wish I had an 8k redline as I bet the noise is sweet!! I am going to check my rev counter when I get the car back :worried: but I do take it to the beep at least 2/3 times a day and that's to and from work haha.

maybe they did especially with the cams in. Id like me some arp bolts so I could up the rev limit a little bit haha.

At 70mph in 4th the rev counter needle just touches, only slightly nearly, the 5k mark.

However I have just noticed an epic fail of biblical proportions. I thought the big fat line on thre rev counter was 8k, whereas it's actually 7.5k so that means mine just touches 8k.... Opps, still gonna get a vid tho as the sound is awesome.

Last edited:
I should get a video of mine up too. Mine just sounds amazing! Its as loud as a vtec in the high end of the rev range. Ive got a few little mods and sods on it too :tongueout:

I'll have to warn you mine is extremly loud after 6k! Goes Bang when i change gear on the shift light too :tongueout: Mines been remapped but its hard to see where the revs go up to when your pulling along fast!

When you rev it whilst idling it just doesnt sound the same as when your in gear pulling along!..

Last edited: