Manifold Flexis

PITA

Paid Member
How do you tell if your flexis are in good condition or need replacing? Is it purely an external visual inspection?

Do these look OK?

30DD5B3A-4310-4230-BAAF-076A374FADF7.jpeg
AAF17A3A-7C18-4E57-B79F-BBD3DD7ECE66.jpeg

Visual but also noise / soot.
A good way is when it's stone cold is have it on a ramp or axle stands and start it and have a quick feel around for any leaks before it gets hot (but do this if you are comfortable / your safety is important).
Get a garage to have a look if you don't feel comfortable.

The clamp can blow a bit if the joint is not lined up and the right clamp used, if that's your photo then it looks fine, like above will see soot and the first signs are the metal braiding to start fraying the one in the picture is normally the first to go as the other is more central so if the engine moves the outer (visible) flexi moves more hence the first normally to go.
What is the problem your experiencing that's making you look. Mine had fraying a year or two before I changed the manifold but because it is a slow process you don't notice the noise until it's changed then the car sounds so much quieter. The clamp is hard to fit because you need to pull the both pipes together and straight then extra hands to line up the clamp and tighten it's better to let the car warm up with the clamp a little loose then tighten but it is very very hot.

You can see my photo the braiding starting to loosen
1591974032410.png

Thank you both for the reply. I’m not overly concerned about mine. I’ve seen that they’re a common point of failure and was anxious to see if mine were OK prior to fitting an Akra.

My understanding is that there is a pre cat at the end of the manifold and if I keep that then it should pass an MOT with the new exhaust?

Mine was able to pass MOT with the first stage CAT only I had just got the car and did not know there was two CAT's, someone had welded in the second CAT removal pipe I had been looking for clamps on the pipework to tell if something had been done to it. Cut your old exhaust in the correct place you will have the option to just use the back box of the Akra with the original mid section if the full EVO system is not quite enough I bought the back box which is the same on both systems there is a step down coupler that it connects to the original system the instructions say the original system needs to be cut 50mm towards the original back box from the factory cutting position. The factory cutting position is marked with dots ( good luck finding them) but I have a brand new back box and the cut is 13inchs from the box seem in a straight line that way the exhaust has a resale value lots of people cut the exhausts all over the place different aftermarket exhausts couple in different places.
1592002435018.png
1592002491145.png
1592002608108.png
1592002670246.png
1592002719145.png
1592002962064.png
1592003211814.png
1592003291806.png