Main dealer £399 Cambelt change offer

As the F1's coming up to the magic 5yrs old, been calling round a few places for Cambelt costs.

Thought I'd call local Renault dealer just to see what sillyness they come up with, but she called me back with an all in "offer" price of 399 all in!! This doesn't include waterpump (thats another 173.00 on top), but what do you guys reckon?

Is this a genuine offer or she confused and quoting me for a normal little 1.0L Clio!! MOT due as well and the bloody service lights come on, its only done 3,000 miles since last Renault service from previous owner as well.:worried:

It was only serviced 3k again? Just reset the light!

To be fair though, i'd snap that offer up. Waterpump is pricey...seeing as Karl would probably supply one for less than £70 and the engine will be apart anyway, i'd just drop one off.

Crank pulley needs doing too, check that's in the price as quite often it's not and it's a costly part

Quick update as the last time I called local Renault dealership was over a month ago.

Was expecting prices to have doubled but just called them up and they're still offering to do cambelt/aux belt for 399 all in. Cheeky buggers wanted to charge me 7 quid for the loan car to get me home tho. Told them not to be so silly and he agreed to wave it.

So, I'm happy with the price, I just hope I'm happy with the job!!..we shall see, fingers crossed..:blink:

Haha..brilliant, just had a call from Renault customer services basically saying:

"ummm, we've got you on our system for having your cambelt done tomorrow at our Gloucester dealership, just checking, what was the price you were quoted?"

ME: 399.00 all in on both occasions, even got them to double check that was the price for a 197 F1 and call me back, on both occasions it WAS!"

"Ummmm, well, theres been some sort of a mix-up (blah blah blah) and basically you've been miss quoted, it should be 820.00"

ME: Well, I've got it written down and have the names of both the people that I got to double check and called me back. Had I have know it was going to cost that much I would have had it done elsewhere earlier in the month. We were also interested in maybe buying a new Clio when they come out (Bu!!sh:t!) but that obviously won't be happening if your guys make make simple cock-ups like this"

"Errrrr..well, ok, on this occasion we'll honour that 399.00 cost"

ME: Thanks very much, see you in the morning!! :smile:

Cheeky buggers wanted to charge me 7 quid for the loan car to get me home tho. Told them not to be so silly and he agreed to wave it.

I had a quote for a service from my local Renault & when I enquired about a courtesy car they told me that they no longer supply them as its a hire car & its £20 for the day WTF!

Yeah, we'll see what happens, they might even sting me and not do it at all..lol!!

On both the 399.00 quotes they gave me that didn't include waterpump, that was an extra 173.00.

Car is only on about 20+k miles so they'll have a look when it's apart and let me know from there. If they do call me and say it needs doing, I'll probably rip down there (in my little Clio hire car) and get them to show me "why" in needs doing.

Yeah, we'll see what happens, they might even sting me and not do it at all..lol!!

On both the 399.00 quotes they gave me that didn't include waterpump, that was an extra 173.00.

Car is only on about 20+k miles so they'll have a look when it's apart and let me know from there. If they do call me and say it needs doing, I'll probably rip down there (in my little Clio hire car) and get them to show me "why" in needs doing.

Personally, I'd get it done regardless mate. You'd have to pay that full labour rate again if it was ever to leak in the future. Mine was perfect but I changed it anyway. I got a HEPU pump from micksgarage for about £40.

£173 for the pump to be changed whilst the cambelt is apart is a bit much to be honest!!!

genuine pumps are £50-60 and 5ltr of coolant is £10....and say hours labour to change so £120 top whack i would say (£50/hr labour)

christ!!! the pump is £68.84, but it's 5 bolts, and about a tenners worth of coolant.

I'm £495 all in inc the water pump and both FULL belt kits (I bet they didn't change your aux tensioner for that price)

Last edited:
I think the dealers do get a bad rep. They're not all bad; mine has been in at the Blackpool dealership for warranty work and I don't really have a bad word to say about them. The whole process from start to finish was simple and hassle free.