Low fast-idle on cold start, now eml light is on

gordyl99

Paid Member
Hi - i bought the 197 in June and ive noticed in the cold weather that there isnt much of a fast-idle on a cold start. Maybe 1k revs max - anyone know what it should be roughly? Talking first start on a cold day. Basically i did a few short trips recently and now the eml light has come on with emissions warning. Car is standard apart from ktr induction kit.

I recently changed the downstream lambda so i figure its not that. Thought maybe the fast-idle should be higher on cold start to allow the cat to warm up.

Anyone know what sensor tells the ecu that the engine is cold and to engage fast idle??

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Cheers

I've recently noticed mine doesn't fast idle either. I doubt it's anything to do with TDC sensor I had cleaned. Could also be because of the warm winter we're having. Try getting it hooked up to a diagnostic machine and seeing what codes are there

engine speed controlled by ecu - temperature sensor in the rear of the cylinder head is main input

if eml light need to read codes - clear/reset then drive it again - if you use one with live data you can see temp sensor data

Hi, i hadnt seen these replies, apologies. Just to note that after a long couple of drives the EML went out so i figured the cat wasnt being brought up to temp on shorter runs as a result of the no fast idle.

I will change the temp sensor in the rear of the cylinder head - anyone got the part number for it?

Cheers